Country
    Singapore

Neon tetra pregnant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I noticed one of my tetra neon tummy getting bigger n bigger, I dont think it's any sort of disease cause it shows no symptom at all and it's been for almost a month or more.....

If it's really pregnant, how do I prepare a special place for it to hide? My 1t tank is heavy planted with sword fin and flame moss, but without any wood... all planted on the gravel.

Thanks
    Last edited by Quixotic; 6th Jul 2007 at 23:14. Reason: 'Cause' not 'cos'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm... Neon tetras are susceptible to disease, and they get bloat quite easily. I know of some aquarists who reportedly mistaken the bloat as being egg laden. Hope this is not the case.

If the fish is egg laden, and you wish to spawn them successfully, then it would be advisable to move the female and a male into a spawning tank. They are egg scatterers, and will eat the eggs, so once they have spawned, likely in the early morning, remove the pair. The eggs are also sensitive to light.

If you leave the spawning in the tank, the eggs are unlikely to survive the appetite of all the fishes. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Google "breeding tetras"

This is one site:

http://www.gnsaquarium.com.au/html/breeding_tetras.html

Good luck. Hope it is not bloat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If your fish spawn, it will probably be among fine-leaved plants. I've had glowlights spawning among java ferns. Sometimes two fish will pair off in the main tank and spawn there. You can trigger spawning with a water change, soft water is best.

Agree with Quixotic. The parent fish might not always eat the eggs but other fish most certainly will!