Images
    Country
    Singapore

4ft DIY T5 light

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've DIY a set about 2 week ago with parabolic reflector in a ocean free casing. Previously use air-con trunking.

Just to share some photos. Will have 1 more set to DIY once I have time.

The result - brighter compare to normal T5 light set sold at LFS with 4 tubes in a single casing.

Lesser heat generated and save on electric bill cause it take 2 set with total 4 tubes to bright up my entire tank. Normal light set will use total 6-8 tubes I guess.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far, only Ocean Free FL casings can take 2 parabolic reflectors in their casing.

I am not use if Osram's 54W eBallast can fit in, but I have seen a 39W eBallast put into the casing as well instead of putting outside, as the eBallast from Osram is very thin.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice job, at least the e-ballast is cooler outside. I wonder if there are parabolic reflector meant for PL tube. That it will be shorter and wider.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Valice

Osram eballast can fit into the casing no worry, the 39w and 54 watt both slim and thin only length different. I've another set with tridonic eballast, slim and thin will do it once I too free during weekends.

I agree inside casing will me much neater and nicer but I rather put outside or split from the casing so the light set less weight. only ugly thing is the 4 white wire connected to eballast.

anyone know where can I get 1 main wire which contain 6 or 8 small wire inside? Saw it few year on petfrm forum for the DIY PL light, keep asking around but failed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

PL reflector

Quote Originally Posted by eddyq View Post
    Nice job, at least the e-ballast is cooler outside. I wonder if there are parabolic reflector meant for PL tube. That it will be shorter and wider.
    Hi eddyq

For PL, so far didn't see any parabolic reflector for PL tube. Most of them using the metal reflector which you can easily find in hardware shop, there are standard length of 2ft and 4ft. It is wider and can put 1 or 2 PL side by side.

I do have 2 X 2ft reflector with 1 X PL clip and holder installed and 2 X 2ft reflector with 2 X PL Clip and holder.

Pls see the photo. The reflection also better than normal paper reflector.

Search Juggles post, think he did share his neat DIY PL light quite long ago.

single tube refletor

double tube reflector

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I admire your creativity, Hii . Great work! Thanks for sharing

BTW, what reflector are you using? I had been looking for the type of cable you are looking for but couldn't find it as well. Do share with us in AQ if you found any.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi uklau

The reflector is those selling by Horizon Ventures, you can get the DE lightings type reflector too. Another place to buy is at Aquarmarin at Jalan Kayu.

I just done another set over this weekend, same casing same wire but with osram eballast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can advise how wide is parabolic reflector? Thinking of DIY but don't know whether my light casing can fit 2 reflector or not.
    Edmund

Men who can both be right & sit tight are uncommon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Lightbulb diy accesories

hi Guys...do any shop at Sim Lim Tower or any whereas sell all those diy stuff for T5 lighting...for example like parabolic reflector, waterproof endcap,clips, osram T5 tube...thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As far as I know, there still isn't any one stop solution for all the lighting accessories. If anyone happens to bump into one, do share it with us in AQ.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by troyz View Post
    hi Guys...do any shop at Sim Lim Tower or any whereas sell all those diy stuff for T5 lighting...for example like parabolic reflector, waterproof endcap,clips, osram T5 tube...thanks

try sinter electronic at 3rd floor of sim lim tower. i was there on the 10th july(my wife was in KKH) and the lady boss knows her stuff. As for the reflectors, you can actually get the sheet metal from sungei road for $5 per meter. The flexibility of the sheet varies with thickness and for my DIY casing, i actually bend it to conform to the profile of my casing without comprising on the reflective index of the material.

My casing is available in the gallery under my nick alternatively i can email you the pics. my email is [email protected].

Hope this is useful.
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 15th Jul 2007 at 22:26.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hii View Post
    Hi Valice

anyone know where can I get 1 main wire which contain 6 or 8 small wire inside? Saw it few year on petfrm forum for the DIY PL light, keep asking around but failed.
    how much you need? sms me 96814289. I try to get it for you.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HI Hii, is there any problem with your previous air-trunk one?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Altum lover76

If you can get for me the main core with 8 sub core wires, I would like to buy 6 meter. But do let me know how much is that..

Hi lolo

No problem with the air con trunking, long story...once i free a bit than brain start thinking to DIY something.

I have 2 spare 4 ft ocean free casing so thinking to DIY and use existing tube and eballast, think to sell off and upgrade to MH or 5ft T5 with 4x80W cause the trunking is 5ft too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have another 1 set 3ft ocean free casing need to DIY. All the accessories are brand new and ready to start DIY...just no time this weekends.

Once I complete will post it for sell cause I don't have 3 ft tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hii View Post
    Hi Altum lover76

If you can get for me the main core with 8 sub core wires, I would like to buy 6 meter. But do let me know how much is that..

Hi lolo

No problem with the air con trunking, long story...once i free a bit than brain start thinking to DIY something.

I have 2 spare 4 ft ocean free casing so thinking to DIY and use existing tube and eballast, think to sell off and upgrade to MH or 5ft T5 with 4x80W cause the trunking is 5ft too.

no problem. i think i can get it for you foc. no promise but i'll try.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    no problem. i think i can get it for you foc. no promise but i'll try.
    i did a check along lavender street. they don't sell to the consumer market but in bulk at one roll of 300 meters. Not cheap also. Unless brothers in here can consolidate orders then it is worth buying if not better scrape the idea.

hope this help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thks, really appreaciate your help. but 300 meters ..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    possible to break the cost down roughly for the 4ft t5 tubes and the eballast? can we use the PL Eballast ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tropic View Post
    possible to break the cost down roughly for the 4ft t5 tubes and the eballast? can we use the PL Eballast ?
    the cost are available at sinter. the eballast from osram is about $4xto 5x. End cap depending whether is it water proof or not. The price varies from $0.75 to a few dollars. If i'm not wrong, you cannot use PL e ballast for T5HO tubes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast