Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How does GeX substrate compare against ADA Aquasoil?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys, this thread is just in time!.. im rescaping my 23cm tank. decided to use GeX substrate. can anyone PM me where to get the dark green packaging one and how much issit for 2l or 2kg one. thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eugene, how much stirring did you do to get your water that milky? my experience is still that with extreme agitation from my discus, my water only showed a small dust cloud that cleared within minutes.

as for just setting up the tank, i filled my water the "correct" way so i didn't get any significant clouding
    Last edited by benny; 25th Apr 2008 at 01:27. Reason: merge posts

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I never did time the duration for it to settle. So i can't comment on that. Because by the time i see the tank again. It has gone through multiple water changes to clear the water.

The tank was filled with water without laying any plastic sheet at the bottom. This is to test if GeX really does give clear water from the start. Water was milky after water fill. It became worse as seen in the picture after i level the gravel using my hands.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was told by my friend who uses this... using GEX does get milky water from the start... but it settle within hours with clear water... so this is a positive point as compare to ADA I guess
    ~| MakE ThE BesT oF EverythinG ThaT LifE BringS TheiR WaY! |~

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my experience using ADA, it took about 3 to 4 days for it to settle. I can leave with that.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in my experience using ADA. i place a acrylic board on top of the ada and use a small tube to refil the water. after water is full. water is crystal clear with no signs of cloudiness.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have just set up a new tank using GeXX. No cloudiness at all. Even when I accidently stir it up, it cause only slight cloudiness anf it cleared within 30 mins.

That's my experience for the past week.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was wondering. What is the actual definition of the different forum's cloudiness?

Cloudiness due to floating particles or cloudiness due to bacteria bloom or cloudiness due to what?

And when the GeX users say they don't get cloudiness, have they used ADA before?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    from my comparison, Gex was cheaper overall, but as valice mentioned i do know that certain places price Gex higher than ADA.

my comparison is based on the cheapest ADA i've found vs the cheapest Gex i've found (both at different shops). pm me if you want more details

to be perfectly fair, however, the price difference between the 2 at most shops, if not all, should be marginal so buy according to your own preference.
    Actually so far, I have been to quite a few shops and GEX is really higher priced that ADA. I know which shop you are referring to that sells GEX cheapest (hopefully they are not monitoring this thread and it is still the cheapest ) .. I have not been there though. Will probably make a trip there in one of these days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    I was wondering. What is the actual definition of the different forum's cloudiness?

Cloudiness due to floating particles or cloudiness due to bacteria bloom or cloudiness due to what?

And when the GeX users say they don't get cloudiness, have they used ADA before?
    when i say cloudiness
    i mean cloudiness due to floating particles
    i have used both ADA and GeX, and i fill water for both (or any gravel/substrate for that matter) in the same manner
    i get less cloudiness from GeX
    thats my opinion

of course i only used GeX once
    so maybe we need more tests to be sure

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The largest package of GEX is 8kg. so i think it is expensive than ADA, which comes with 9 liter pack.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    is 9L = 9kg? What is 9L equivalent to in kg?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    There is always usage for all brands of substrates, besides GeX and ADA. Eventually, it all boils down to what you want with your scape and how you use them.

What about cloudiness? I personally don't care much for them because nitrogen cycle takes 3 weeks anyway. So by the time the tank is properly cycled, any cloudiness (from any substrate) should have been cleared by then (unless I am not doing something quite right).

IMHO, direct comparisons are quite useless, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

From the content analysis on the packaging, main GeX components are these:

SiO2 (silicon dioxide aka silica) - 48.2%
    Al2O3 (aluminium oxide) - 23.9%
    Fe2O3 (ferric oxide) - 11.3%

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    SiO2? Isn't that sand?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    using this link, http://web.ukonline.co.uk/fred.moor/...rmed/f0107.htm on soil compositions, it seems that having 48.2% of sand in Gex makes it loam or clay, depending on the percentage of clay and silt found in it.

Ideally, loam has 40% sand composition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loam). Clay consists of a variety of phyllosilicate minerals rich in silicon and aluminium oxides and hydroxides, so given that aluminium oxide is at 23.9%, Gex soil should classify as medium loam (assumption based on limited numbers available)

From my limited knowledge, loam is ideal for plant growing. Going by Quixotic's breakdown of Gex soil, it seems so far that the relatively high percentage of sand in Gex is a good thing and makes it a good planting substrate

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    is 9L = 9kg? What is 9L equivalent to in kg?
    9 liter is approximately equal to 20 lbs / 9.07kgs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The good thing is Gex come in small size, good for 1ft tank
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the cloudiness for my 422 Gex clouds after 4 days. But then again this could be due to the fact that i was disturbing the substrate since day one up to day 4 for planting. NOw my tank is about 7 - 10 days already and the water is really clear. price wise, i think ADA and Gex is the same but what makes Gex so user friendly is that they comes in smaller packets.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The good thing is Gex come in small size, good for 1ft tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    the cloudiness for my 422 Gex clouds after 4 days. But then again this could be due to the fact that i was disturbing the substrate since day one up to day 4 for planting. NOw my tank is about 7 - 10 days already and the water is really clear. price wise, i think ADA and Gex is the same but what makes Gex so user friendly is that they comes in smaller packets.
    very true
    with 800g and 2kg packs, very convenient for small setups and mini touch/top-ups
    decoration sand also comes in a handy 1kg pack
    can't argue with the convenience

i didnt touch my substrate since day1 for the new 1-foot cube using Gex
    water has been crystal clear all the way
    and judging by the filter wool as the first layer in my filter, there is seriously nothing to cloud the water
    the wool is still totally white with barely a few specks of brown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it could be that it sinks because it's porous and absorbs water, similar to how sponges sink when soaked in water...and we all know that sponges are definitely lighter than water of equal volume when dry

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast