Country
    Singapore

background of tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi,
    i would like to have some moss to make my backdrop.. either java xmas or mini moss.. any recommendations? or i can mix them together?
    and... how do i make them stick to the back? i plan to get those black boards(sold in lfs) for background but im not too sure how to get the mosses to grow on it.. anyone can advise?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

background of tank

hi,
    i would like to have some moss to make my backdrop.. either java xmas or mini moss.. any recommendations? or i can mix them together?
    and... how do i make them stick to the back? i plan to get those black boards(sold in lfs) for background but im not too sure how to get the mosses to grow on it.. anyone can advise?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

background of tank

hi,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

background of tank

hi,

Do what I do, use wire mesh and spread it about, then use string to bind down. Me using x-mass moss, still can see the metal grills but it is doing fine and superb. Just needs more time, can't take photo though. Metal grill is something I like cause its heavy, hence very easy to lay it at the back of the tank. I curved mine such that it hid the filter pipe. Yeah.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i dont need any board behind? just the wire guaze?

Yeah, i just stick the gauze into the sand, its that tough mah. simple too.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what abt those wire guaze with a suction cap? does that work too?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    they actually sell this plastic meshes at hardware shops and at some fish shops... they have ranges of different sizes and can be used the same way as the wire mesh but its better as its not shiny and easily spotted in the tank, it has different hole sizes to choose from so your moss gets more light than from using mesh and also grows denser FaStEr! yeah different colours to choose from too... i recommend black... oh and another thing to note... the backdrop collects alot of dirt!
    yeah good luck!!!!!!!!![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thanks for yr help man! will update u on my tank []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Notice the background in Vican's tanks in this thread.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cant see the pics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's the direct links.

One

Two

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ryan, for the steel mesh, you just lay the moss over the mesh and wind very fine fishing line to hold the moss. Don't need to fold over like the plastic mesh. Sold there is plenty of light for the moss on the steel mesh. Problem with the plastic mesh is that it is not stiff enough to push against the binding fishing line.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/16/2002 12:17:29 AM

ryan, for the steel mesh, you just lay the moss over the mesh and wind very fine fishing line to hold the moss. Don't need to fold over like the plastic mesh. Sold there is plenty of light for the moss on the steel mesh. Problem with the plastic mesh is that it is not stiff enough to push against the binding fishing line.
    ----------------
    oh thats true... then the purpose of the mesh is just something to tie the moss on huh? not to let it grow through in get even wall?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For grow thru, use plastic mesh. What you do is sandwich the moss between 2 sheets of plastic mesh.

I used 2 plastic meshes and a number of suckers to stick the whole thing to the back wall. The bottom of the mesh is pushed into the gravel.

There is a gap between the mesh and the back wall, but its good for me because it's a good hiding place for the smaller fishes and shrimps from the arowana.

About collecting dirt, I guess it might be true. But I guess the stuff will breakdown eventually and supplement fertilisation for the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    be aware that, the net may be a death trap some certain fishes.. so try get those will smaller gaps to prevent fishes from getting behind it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my experience with the plastic mesh has been that the gap behind (due to the suckers) is big enough to trap fishes of certain size, some fishes also get trapped while trying to swim through the holes!

In any case, you should be prepared for the mulch that will collect in the back. It is amazing when you remove the mesh, the amount of yucky stuff that will come out []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if there's enuff space behind, can consider tying the moss on narrow driftwood and stacking the driftwood at the background..