14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sexing Apistogramma cacatuoides

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello would like to ask a question.. how big would it be possible to sex them correctly?
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ewout_vB View Post
    Guys, I have a quick question.

A friend of mine ordered a pair of apistogrammas and we think the smaller "female" might be a sneaker male. However, he doesn't want to complain with the seller, yet, because he wants to make sure it is indeed a male before he complains to this reputable seller. Here are some pictures I took:

The smaller fish is displaying the courting... sideways spasming , however doesn't get more yellow than in the pictures, the pelvic fin is not black (though some say some domestic strain females don't have this?), and the rear caudal fin is not round (granted you can see it's a little damaged). However! The dorsal fine is short and some people say they don't really go yellow till after the eggs are laid (which they aren't). Any opinions / reassurance would be great as he's planning to breed them, but an actual pair would be nice for that!

Also the larger male is now continually chasing away the smaller one, suggesting to me that possible the male is aware of the imposter? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

(If needed I have much larger version of the photos above)

Hi Bros,

I have a CACA that resembles just like this in the picture. Similarly the dorsal fin is pointed, but in my case the ventral fins are black. Is it a sneaker male in this scenario? The male CACA seems to hate 'her' though, keeps seeking out for 'her' and wanted to peck 'her' body.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I'm a bit confused with the sexing (again). I used to have A. cacatuoides a few years ago, and just recently purchased another "pair". Now, the male that I got is pretty obvious. But the female never is. I bought them from a Fish Shop, but chose the pair myself.

Here's the picture (As you can see, ventral isn't black and the dorsal is a bit colored)
    DSCN2179.jpg

From below picture, the ventral got a bit of black, but dorsal and anal seems to be coloring up. As well as caudal..
    DSCN2177.jpg

Picture below is the one with the male (may be useful for size comparison)
    DSCN2181.jpg

I am wondering if I got myself a pair or just a male and a young male starting to color up?

Thanks for the assistance

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From the picture i see the female dosent looks like a sneaker male... How's the pair doing now ?
    When a habit begins to cost money, it's called a hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Thanks, chris168. Their behaviour from what I observed so far are:
    Mostly peaceful. The obvious male sometimes hang around the "female" and kind of like nudging her on the body? so it's like he approaches her, gave her a slight nudge on the body or tail, follows her around, and sometimes swim away.
    Oh and the male also sometimes do wiggly dance and quite often being ignored.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Don't mention just sharing the taughts with ya. That's very good from the way you mention in their behavior... They might spawn soon if the female are ready... Mind to take a shot of your Apisto setup and share it with us?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Sure. Would be happy to share. I am getting some new plants today for the tank, so will take a shot after I put them into the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Not sure how to edit posts. Here's the setup - note that most of the plants in here are new and I did water change as I planted, so it looks a bit cloudy.
    The purpose isn't really to make the tank look good (especially since I suck at aquascaping).
    2 driftwood 'caves' on each side of the tank and some plants to help control nitrate. Not going to plant more until these plants establish their roots. When I planted them, it was really frustrating. 1 planted, 2 went off, 2 planted, 2 went off. It took me longer than necessary. Previously in the tank were only water sprites.

apisto.jpg

Only a pair of A. Cac in there. Maybe I should get another pair? The shop that I went to won't sell just female (because they're low in numbers), so they will only sell pair or none.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi pfelix... A simple Apistogramma setup not complicated You can add some Java fern or nana probably stack up with some Driftwood will look much nicer. So that your Caca can have more hiding spots too.. You intend to get another pair ? hmm, if your current pair are doing fine and you are looking forward for the a pair to get spawn don't think you need to get another pair tough. Maybe can add other live stock like cardinal tetra or rasbora to make your tank much more lively . Good luck hope to hear from you soon that your Cacatuoides Breeds...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I intended to get another pair as I read that they do best with 1 male and multiple females, but I changed my mind. They actually spawned a few days ago, but then somehow the eggs disappeared after a few days. The female is still bright yellow though. She doesn't seem to be guarding anything at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion, chris. I'll see if I can get anything decent when I am at LFS next time

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by CacaManiac View Post

A sneaker male that i got from the last pair i had purchased.

died on me.. poor guy
    hi bro this is male ???

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234