Country
    United_States

Question White cloudy growth over bala shark eyes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all:
    I have a black with red tips bala shark, which over two days developed a cloudy white growth extending over just its eyes. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the rest of its body. None of the other fish in the tank seem to have any problems or issues. It does seem to be losing it's ability to see, after a while it started running into things a bit more.

It was in a 55 gal, fairly densely planted tank, it is now floating in a mason jar with its own air supply. pH was 8.0 (I am trying to decrease the pH), nitrite 0 ppm, ammonia 0 ppm and nitrate 10 ppm. I am not supplementing with CO2. Nothing new has been added to the tank within the last week - 10 days. Prior to that period, I added a whole bunch of plants, shrimp, blue neons and hummingbird tetra. Though there hasn't been any problems until just now.

I can't tell from the forums if it's a bacteria or fungus. I don't want to use copper sulfate as it will wipe out my snails. Do I need to treat the whole tank? Can I just treat this fish?

It's tankmates include 15 olive nerite snails, 10+ assorted shrimp (ghost, Brazilian yellow belly, Rudolph red nose), 2 cory cats, 5 male guppys, 3 blue tetras, 6 rasboras, 1 elephant nose, 1 golden chinese algae eater, 1 hummingbird tetra, 1 peacock gudgoen, 1 molly, 4 otocinclus, 1 albino bala shark.

Thanks for any help. Cheers Jannell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    not sure what is a bala shark

is best to practise QT every newly bought/given/even Own fish before introducing to the comm tank. that goes for QT of PLANTS too

since is with tetra, i assume is a fresh water fish, now you have QT from the comm tank, advice you to add some yellow powder and some salt and do partial WC daily until improvement.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Question Fish type clarification

Hi
    My fish is a "The red-tailed black shark, Epalzeorhynchos bicolor, also known as the redtail shark, is a species of freshwater fish in the carp family, Cyprini" from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epalzeorhynchos_bicolor

What is the yellow powder that you are referring to? Copper sulfate? I don't want to kill all the shrimp in my tank?

Thanks for your help.
    Cheers
    Jannell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    when you said this "it is now floating in a mason jar with its own air supply" is it out from the comm tank or still inside the comm tank ?

i would recommend you to QT the fish out from the comm tank as it is a PLANTED tank.

Yellow powder aka Japanese Yellow Powder or Tetracycline.

i prefer the Second.

if no PP or JYP with mild salt also applicable.

CHeers..