Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: reebok4190's new Altum Angels!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Updates

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Here's some updates of the Altum Angels...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One word, bro...........
    AWESOME............
    Keep it up...............

Sanie.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    VERY IMPRESSIVE

Any spawning take place?
    Love all,Trust few,Do wrong to none

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Buy buy buy.. before someone decides to ban it. Lucky you - reebok4190

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    reebok,
    Is that a discus you keep together with the Altums?
    Nice Altums bro.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. So far they have been a joy 2 me to watch them flaring.. Its been more than a year. Seems like there is a courtship but i leave it as they are. Beside i am keeping them just to enjoy their activitity behaviors in the wild under water. I am reaping the rewards.

This year buying another batch to add with the existing 6 months later. Heard that Altum Angels just started yesterday..

Wish all of you success whom are trying out this year...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi reebok,

are your altum living in peace with tetras? thinking of getting some angel fish for my planted.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Was talking to my friend about Altum, he told me that he put 100 pcs of tetra with 6 Altum and all tetra gone by the next morning..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by reebok4190 View Post
    Here's some updates of the Altum Angels...
    very nice Altum, very tempting to start this beautiful fish. Is the season here yet?
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes! Was at C328 last night, watching some bros bring them home,1 after another. very tiny baby angel.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2sign View Post
    Yes! Was at C328 last night, watching some bros bring them home,1 after another. very tiny baby angel.
    I wouldn't know if there are real Altum angel. The packet comes in 2 baby fishes? I saw a lot named Peru, Brazil Angel all looked like altum! They told me all come from a farm in Malaysia and breeding so successful now they sell less than 10 per fish. Anyone any clear info on this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Can get some info at this thread:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=43176

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I wouldn't know if there are real Altum angel. The packet comes in 2 baby fishes? I saw a lot named Peru, Brazil Angel all looked like altum! They told me all come from a farm in Malaysia and breeding so successful now they sell less than 10 per fish. Anyone any clear info on this?
    Are you saying real P. altums are being bred and sold for $0.10 each or just available in lots of 10?
    You know hardly anyone in the Western Hemisphere believes that P altum, sensu stricto, are being bred by anyone. Rio Negro P.scalare P. altum look-a-likes, yes but not Ata Bapo, Venezuelan, P. altums.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by apistomaster View Post
    Are you saying real P. altums are being bred and sold for $0.10 each or just available in lots of 10?
    You know hardly anyone in the Western Hemisphere believes that P altum, sensu stricto, are being bred by anyone. Rio Negro P.scalare P. altum look-a-likes, yes but not Ata Bapo, Venezuelan, P. altums.

Oh.. I mean those 'altum' there that are sold at $10.
    I am shocked to see the fishes at that price as I have kept the real thing years ago... cost me $179 for 2.

Again they look 'real' at the Singapore LFS, but they are small...bigger we will know
    Last edited by Quixotic; 29th Jul 2008 at 00:25. Reason: Rephrase

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone knows why, when they are still a juvenile, the finnage are so high, but once they grow bigger in size.. the fins seem to be shorter.. How to maintain its high fin?

Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just did an extensive lecture in Toronto for the Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs on also the topic: Pterophylum altum Pellegrin, 1904.

Those fishes you have here as "Altums" are P. scalare from the Rio Negro, those are being breed almost worldwide now 8and unfortunately sold as "Altums", which they are definitely NOT).

They are very nice angelfishes, but P. scalare. They grow also large (not as large as the real P. altum), but the more big they grow, the smaller get the fins. With P. altum it is one of the morphological characters that is the other way around.

Anyhow, nice fishes,

always

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    Best regards,
    Heiko Bleher

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh, so the "altums" we have here are not actually altums? But P.scalare instead?

Mr Heiko, if given a picture of a juvenile, are you able to tell if its an altum?

cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiko Bleher View Post
    Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I just did an extensive lecture in Toronto for the Canadian Association of Aquarium Clubs on also the topic: Pterophylum altum Pellegrin, 1904.

Those fishes you have here as "Altums" are P. scalare from the Rio Negro, those are being breed almost worldwide now 8and unfortunately sold as "Altums", which they are definitely NOT).

They are very nice angelfishes, but P. scalare. They grow also large (not as large as the real P. altum), but the more big they grow, the smaller get the fins. With P. altum it is one of the morphological characters that is the other way around.

Anyhow, nice fishes,

always

Heiko Bleher
    www.aquapress-bleher.com
    Oh. I am confused. The above pictures do look like altum to me except for the red eye ring.

Mr. Heiko, do you mind share with us how you tell the above is not altum? By the way, do you mean for a real altum, it fins will grow even longer as it body get larger? From what I see here in Singapore, those "altum" that we bought from our local fish shop, the fins do not grow proportionally to the body grow rate. If what you said is correct, it might mean that those "altum" we bought at a high price every year from July to November is not real altum.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I hope that isnt the case.. it means everyone here in singapore is deluded by what is - the "real" altum?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Probably not enough homework and understanding on the fishes, plus misguided information from the Internet.

CK actually posted Heiko's write up on the key differences in post #10 in 2007, a year ago.

That said, P. altum surely has been offered in Singapore before right? Probably really really rare and too expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast