Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking "Wild" Apisto spoted at C328

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Spotted two pairs of Apisto Caca (Wild) at C328 during lunch time when Uncle just release them into the small glass tank and they show promising color under stress condition. One has nice Red finnage (Not that kind of yellowish variant) while the other one is Orange. There are also a few pair still on the floor but didn't see.
    $XX German (Wild).
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesneo View Post
    $XX German (Wild)
    Just out of curiousity, if these are "German", how can they be wild? F1 perhaps but wild? Hmm...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Just out of curiousity, if these are "German", how can they be wild? F1 perhaps but wild? Hmm...
    Hmmm... I also don't know, saw Uncle write on the glass tank.

$XX German (Wild)

Scaping Nature in a Cube

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    any idea what other breeds other than caca?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps german bred cacatuoides of the "wild" colouration?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it is wild, then it cannot be 'German'.

Some info displayed by LFS (not pointing only at any specific LFS) cannot be taken in 100%

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The wild forms of Ap. cacatuoides are usually bluish in colours with little or no reds in their finnages. These guys are rarely seen because they are not popular compared to their reddish forms. Triple/super reds or orange flash are aquarium strains achieved by means of strain breeding. So i do not think C328 Ap. cacatuoides are "wild" forms. Rather...farmbreds.

Here are some pics of the wild Ap. Cacatuoides.

Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the pictorial guide eugene =) it's great to have apisto gurus teach us newbies the ropes

P.S. the fish in vincent's photo looks awesome!
    Last edited by illumnae; 23rd Jul 2007 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya didn't knew that too. So much colour difference between wild and farm bred.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Was at C328 the other day. If I remember correctly, it look something like the picture below, maybe someone can retify if I'm correct.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    The wild forms of Ap. cacatuoides are usually bluish in colours with little or no reds in their finnages. These guys are rarely seen because they are not popular compared to their reddish forms. Triple/super reds or orange flash are aquarium strains achieved by means of strain breeding. So i do not think C328 Ap. cacatuoides are "wild" forms. Rather...farmbreds.

Here are some pics of the wild Ap. Cacatuoides.

Wow!! These are beautiful. Any idea where I can get to see them??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    Was at C328 the other day. If I remember correctly, it look something like the picture below, maybe someone can retify if I'm correct.

i think that would probably be an apisto. cacatuoides orange flash?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes it's orange flash therefore farm bred.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Apistogramma cacatuoides and Apistogramma agassizii in the tanks are indeed labeled "German (wild)".

Firstly, Apistogramma cacatuoides/agassizii "Orange Flash", "Super/triple/double Red" are all selectively bred aquarium strains. As such, they are not naturally occuring specimens. Therefore, it is technically not possible to have a "wild caught" Apistogramma cacatuoides "Orange Flash". As posted above, the Wild specimens are usually a lot more dull in coloration when in a relaxed state. These aquarium strains will carry the brilliant coloration almost all the time, and hence the popularity with the hobbyists.

The fishes are labeled on the tank according to what the suppliers write on their delivery bags. As we all know, we cannot take it to be the gospel truth and ocassionally, there will be mistakes. The shopkeepers usually do not have the time to research and appreciate the fishes like the hobbyists (there are exceptions e.g. Biotope).

As such, let's just appreciate the fishes for what they are. Whether wild or otherwise, I must say that these German fishes are "WOW" in coloration!

So.... anyone got them?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks for the clarification. Just come back from C328 after lunch.
    The German ("Wild") Orange Caca Pair is not there. Most probably sold.
    As for the other pair (Caca Red variant), saw only 1 female (Red variant) in the tank. Think someone get the Male only.

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    The Apistogramma cacatuoides and Apistogramma agassizii in the tanks are indeed labeled "German (wild)".

Firstly, Apistogramma cacatuoides/agassizii "Orange Flash", "Super/triple/double Red" are all selectively bred aquarium strains. As such, they are not naturally occuring specimens. Therefore, it is technically not possible to have a "wild caught" Apistogramma cacatuoides "Orange Flash". As posted above, the Wild specimens are usually a lot more dull in coloration when in a relaxed state. These aquarium strains will carry the brilliant coloration almost all the time, and hence the popularity with the hobbyists.

The fishes are labeled on the tank according to what the suppliers write on their delivery bags. As we all know, we cannot take it to be the gospel truth and ocassionally, there will be mistakes. The shopkeepers usually do not have the time to research and appreciate the fishes like the hobbyists (there are exceptions e.g. Biotope).

As such, let's just appreciate the fishes for what they are. Whether wild or otherwise, I must say that these German fishes are "WOW" in coloration!

So.... anyone got them?

Cheers,

Scaping Nature in a Cube