Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

DIY water top-up system ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

have been think abt this cos if go oversea trip & no one at home i will have a problem.

I need to top up abt 1 liter of water daily in my 1.5 ft planted tank cos of 24hrs ON of a DC fan to cool down it temperature.

Let say if am away for 2 week-14days & the water evaporated in my tank will be more than 10 litres.

The DIY system :

1] A pail of water which is more than 12 litres place beside my tank.
    2] Connect a powerhead output to a normal aquarium air-hose(need to silicon up the joint), thus it is long enough to reach my tank which is secure to the hook to prevent water hose from dropping down.
    3] Dump the powerhead into the pail of water.
    4] Connect it to a timer & set what time of the day to ON(so tt it power-up & suck water up to my tank) & after how many seconds/minutes it MUST cut OFF power to prevent my tank from overflow.

PS:the duration tt the water will be flowing into my tank need to be trail & error.It vary accordingly to the diameter of the water hose use also the power of the powerhead use.

What do u guys think of this system or have anyone try b4?

Any comments are welcome.

thks
    adrian

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi

have been think abt this cos if go oversea trip & no one at home i will have a problem.

I need to top up abt 1 liter of water daily in my 1.5 ft planted tank cos of 24hrs ON of a DC fan to cool down it temperature.

Let say if am away for 2 week-14days & the water evaporated in my tank will be more than 10 litres.

The DIY system :

2] Connect a powerhead output to a normal aquarium air-hose(need to silicon up the joint), thus it is long enough to reach my tank which is secure to the hook to prevent water hose from dropping down.
    4] Connect it to a timer & set what time of the day to ON(so tt it power-up & suck water up to my tank) & after how many seconds/minutes it MUST cut OFF power to prevent my tank from overflow.

PS:the duration tt the water will be flowing into my tank need to be trail & error.It vary accordingly to the diameter of the water hose use also the power of the powerhead use.

thks
    adrian

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi

The DIY system :

thks
    adrian

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi

The DIY system :

thks
    adrian

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can reduce water loss by putting the fan on the same timer as your lights. No heat from lights - no need to cool the water.

Second, your plan is risky. Consider this: if your fan breaks down, there'll be less water loss. After a few auto top-ups, the tank overflows.

You did not mention how you're going to prevent your tank water flowing back to your pail after the powerhead stops. You need to make sure the hose outlet is not underwater.

I think safer for you to rig up a simple cistern with the pail and a float valve.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No one else to help?

Your solution sounds logical but anything can happen if not monitored or tested properly. What if the whole place gets wet?

For me, I rather turn off the fan and shorten the light duration. I am sure the plants won't be affected much. And there's less evaporation.

My, the fish would be damn hungry when you return. Got food timer?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Vinz,
    I had tried the fan & light ON & OFF together. BUt Temp is rather high too cos tank come with hook. even if temp reduce to what i want but if i am not around for 2 weeks or so, the water evaporated will still be alot.

Yup, the hose will be slight above the normal water level in the tank.

Agreed with u tt will be risky if fan is down. But Yr suggested method need the water sump to be placed above the tank right?

KF,
    I & my wife only lay.

Maybe will adopt yr suggestion if my plan is not properly tested.

Food timer can be purchase easily in LFS?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Correct... unless you use your method but get an electronic float switch instead. Search the forum for 'float switch'. There are a number of threads about auto-topup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In addition to KF's suggestion, keep the hood open if possible to let the heat dissapate by itself.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In this case, better raise the hood somehow. It really prevents the tank from being heated up. My 40L planted tank was in this situation before.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    U mean u just raise yr tank hook to a certain height to achieve better air ventilation. Tt solved yr problem of high temp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you got to consider the resolution of the timer you are using. for Ben timer, the on/off duration is in term of 15min (correct me if am wrong), if you get a powerhead of minumum flow rate of 60l per hour, you will top-up 15 l each time... your tank will overflow in less than a week..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    gradon u r right.

thks for tt i missed this consideration.

I think digital timer is 1 minutes & will cause the tank to overflow in no time.

will try to do some experiment if got the time.

thks' guys

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/18/2002 4:10:41 PM

U mean u just raise yr tank hook to a certain height to achieve better air ventilation. Tt solved yr problem of high temp?
    ----------------
    In my case - yes. I had 72W FL lights over 40L tank. I found the water very warm at 32C when I first set up. Then I raised the light set higher. I also shorten the light duration hours from 8 to 6. The water feels cooler after that. There's also good air flow in the room since the windows are open.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    consider using float switch.. something along the line of the toilet floating device..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know how hot is hot? What's the temp when the lights are all on and the fan not running.

A float switch is a better choice of sensing when the water is low. Think of it like your toilet flush system (old type).

For me I would forego the whole idea of topping up water unless the system is reliable. Reduce your lights and fan. Higher temp wouldn't be much of a problem.

As for feeding, I wouldn't be too worried too. A week without food, the fish will still be fine. So far I've tried 1.5 week without feeding. no problem.

Juz my opinion hor.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    sherchoo,

it's 32 deg cel. At tt time, i have only riccia & D.sag &they r growing well. With only 2 x 18watt illum at 10-11hrs. NO fan.

now i have 3 x 18watt illum at 9hrs with 2 hrs seista(duuno how to spell) & fan 24hrs ON. Riccia is growing faster & thicher bush. At 26-27deg cel, I have added in malayan shrimp, cory cat & more H.rasbosa. But my Xmass moss after a month, it's not growing & still brown

why?

anyway, i think got to forgo the idea as it has many disadv.

Feedback Score
    U can try this -> HERE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thks ach

might 1 to experiment it if got time