Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Brand new to Paludariums

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I saw a paludarium setup in a local pet store and was fascinated.

I had never seen anything so beautiful, so since I have standard rectangle 55 and 29 gallon tanks, I decided to do some research and planning and hope to get it setup by next year(I like to plan things carefully). Anyway, here is my first plan. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I want to try to keep the background light since I live in an apartment and may move at some point, so I want to use a background of cork bark siliconed to the glass and maybe the sides. I already have an underground filter I plan to shape and raise 6 inches using pvc tubes for the left side of the tank. In the left back corner I will cutout a place for a pump to feed a waterfall. I also plan to use a fogger. I will hide the edges of the filter with slate or something similar, then build a slope to the water area on the right using slate but leaving some gaps large enough for water to flow under the ground area and provide a hiding area for fish.

For the ground area I will use gravel topped with a crushed bark,soil mixture. I will use gravel in the water area and haven't decided yet what to top it with to hold aquatic plants. I plan to keep the water level even throughout the whole tank, with the ground area resting an inch or two above it. In the deep water area I will use powerhead attached to the underground filter which I will hide with logs and/or rocks.

After planting, I figure to give it 3 months before adding creatures, though I will add a few small fish after a week to help the biology. I will use a fitted screen top with appropriate lighting.I plan to use my 29 gallon tank to raise guppys for feeder fish if I choose to have inhabitants that eat them.

I know this is a bare bones plan but does anybody see any problems with this plan so far, especially with drainage issues? I will probably want to have some frogs and maybe some newts or something similar.
    Last edited by benny; 27th Jul 2007 at 16:15. Reason: Formating for easier reading

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I just realized the powerhead won't help much so I will probably go with a submersed dueto.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check this link, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=13107. It should help you. Personally, I am not for your crush bark/soil mixture, I would rather use aquaclay or any form of baked clay since they provide better aeration for the roots of plants.