Country
    Singapore

Growing E. tenellus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks,

Bought 2 pots of tenellus (emerse form I think) from the shop next to Nature at Thomson.

1. How long does it takes to grow submerged ?
    2. Is 36 W for a 20 gallaon 2 ft tank enough ?
    3. There is this green film of very green algae growing in my tank. What could be wrong ? I had some fish that went missing and I think rotted.
    Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Green film? Bluish green slime? Could be Cyanobacteria a.k.a BGA.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had mine in Seachem Flourite substrate together with Wonder-gro root tablet. It took off less than 2 weeks time. Growing like a weed in my 2 footer with 2 x 18W T8 Arcadia tubes. You can see me giving away E. Tenellus every now & then in Marketplace. Now, reducing the fertilizer to reduce the pruning work. Too much work for me .

Let me know if you need somemore. I'm more than willing to give it to you. BTW, I got the plant from the same source as yours.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have mine for 4 weeks in a 30cm x 30cm tank. 18w of light, Africana ADA substrate. 10hrs/day, no extra fertilisng. It hasn't really taken off yet, but also mercifully, no algae, they are throwing off runners, but many of the leaves are yellowing. I assume that it was originally grown emersed? Inhabitants are some wild caught shrimp and 4 endlers, there was initially some small croaking gourami which i removed after the tank stabilised recently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    I had mine in Seachem Flourite substrate together with Wonder-gro root tablet. It took off less than 2 weeks time. Growing like a weed in my 2 footer with 2 x 18W T8 Arcadia tubes. You can see me giving away E. Tenellus every now & then in Marketplace. Now, reducing the fertilizer to reduce the pruning work. Too much work for me .

Let me know if you need somemore. I'm more than willing to give it to you. BTW, I got the plant from the same source as yours.
    Thanks for the offer. Will look for you if this batch didn't do well. Trying to starve off algae at the same time. Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine did not grow well for the last few month. My tank temperature is 29......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    I have mine for 4 weeks in a 30cm x 30cm tank. 18w of light, Africana ADA substrate. 10hrs/day, no extra fertilisng. It hasn't really taken off yet, but also mercifully, no algae, they are throwing off runners, but many of the leaves are yellowing. I assume that it was originally grown emersed? Inhabitants are some wild caught shrimp and 4 endlers, there was initially some small croaking gourami which i removed after the tank stabilised recently.
    imo, i think you might need to add some potassium for them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mine is starting to spread after about 6 weeks in a very low tech tank with nothing except a 13W light (2wpg) 6-8 hours a day and ADA aquasoil africana substrate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1224 View Post
    imo, i think you might need to add some potassium for them
    Thanks, im sure that it would help, but im keeping it natural, (office tank, can't be around all the time). It is growing very well anyway, each individual plant have at least sprouted 2 plantlet, they have tripled! The new plants have a narrower and sharper leaves. The older leafs are broader and darker.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    Thanks, im sure that it would help, but im keeping it natural, (office tank, can't be around all the time). It is growing very well anyway, each individual plant have at least sprouted 2 plantlet, they have tripled! The new plants have a narrower and sharper leaves. The older leafs are broader and darker.
    for my low tech i only add some potassium every now and then for the plant leaves
    initially i didn't add any and i noticed yellowing on my tenellus leaves as well