Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Blue Ram vs. Pearl Gourami

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I’ve been searching for information on two types of fish - Blue Rams (I‘m not sure which species I have available. I’m hoping for Mikrogeophagus ramirezi ), and Pearl Gouramis ( Trichogaster leeri ). I have read in various places that both of these fish are very shy, yet I have also read that both are active and slightly aggressive. I know each individual fish will be different, but was wondering if my tank would be too busy for them.
    I would like to have either species as the main star(s) in my low-tech 29gal tank. About a month ago I gave up my Angel because he was taking a liking to the cardinal tetras… and that just wouldn’t do. So I’m sort of on a hunt for a better tank mate. The tank is semi-planted, with driftwood, and houses 5 Julii Corydoras, a few Otos, 2 glass shrimp, 6 cardinal tetras, around 5 guppies and two female swordtails. I’m planning on moving the swords as they are a bit boisterous. During feeding time the livebearers are very greedy over the shrimp pellets. All in all it’s not a very quiet tank.
    I’ve also read that they should be in a small group (3+), I’m assuming that would be 2 female + 1 male. I’m starting to get to the point where I’m wondering if it will be overstocked… yeah, yeah. A whole ‘nother topic in itself.
    I would like to know what you all think about it. And if the two species I’ve picked out are going to have a hard time settling in, do you have another suggestion?
    I won’t be buying anymore fish ‘til the plants grow out some more, mainly the hairgrass in the foreground. It’ll be at least a few months. But in the mean time I’m researching.

25% water change each week (vacuum whatever gravel isn’t planted)
    Temperature is steady @ 27*C (80*F)

So, suggestions, comments, complaints… what ever you want to throw at me would be great!
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Both are at the top of my list of favourite fishes.

Rams need ditter fishes. In my expereince, in bare tanks they fare very badly... clamp fins, hiding in corners. But with plants and other decor, plus ditter fishes they settle in quite well. They display typical cichlid curiosity and intelligence. They are not painfully shy... i.e. they are not going to hide all day. Once comfortable in the tank, you will see them 'hunting' amonst the plants. If startled, they hide, but you'll soon see them peeking out, before coming out to investigate. They are not bothered by boisterous fishes. They are very aggressive if they have a brood to protect, however, they are often not very good parents in captivity and often eat up the brood or lose them.

If you want them as the feature fish, you can't have too many other fishes... they'll just get lost in the crowd. They don't often swim in open water, often loitering in the lower half of the tank and stick pretty close to cover. They make nice feature fish if your other fishes are not riotously distracting.

Pearl gouramis are comparatively much larger and thus more visible. They are mid to top water swimmers. They will school somewhat, so they make nice feature fish. They do prefer still water and you will find them making bubbles nest in some quiet corner. They aren't the type to be normally hiding either.

Hope that helps.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thank you! I have kept quite a few gouramis in the past, and love the way they 'feel' around the tank. I am kind of leaning towards the pearls, as they wouldn't be so mean when with fry.

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Both are at the top of my list of favourite fishes.

Rams need ditter fishes. ...
    um... ditter fishes? could you explain?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ummm... they need other braver (or less intelligent, depenidng on your point of view) fishes around. If they see other fishes swimming openly, they will be assured there's no danger.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    hm. ok thank you! You've been a great help. I think I'l check around the LFS to see if they can get any Pearls in. So do you think I should get 1male+1female or 1male+2female?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How about half a dozen headstanders? These oddballs should stick out!

I had a 2 male, 1 female combo of pearl gouramis once. The 2 males killed each other over the female.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ...headstanders? I'll have to check them out- never heard of them before!
    Yeah, the guys are just so picky over that sort of thing.

Thanks for another suggestion!