Images
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation Help Catfish with serious injury

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After a few days away from home due to family reasons, I returned and found one of my feather-finned upside down cat (Synodontis Eupterus) seriously injured, it has a nasty wound on its back.

I suspect it started with a nasty scrap against one of several large pieces of driftwood I have in my tank perhaps something spooked it. Once the wound opens up, opportunistic tankmates started to take bites at the poor fella and it ended up as shown.

This is just my suspicion as I did not actually see any of the tank mates taking bites at it, anyway, it is one of the bigger inhabitants in the tank and I believe it could hold its own.

I decided to leave it as it is (perhaps it is a mistake on my part) because I do not want to stress it further by trying to net it. Only till 24 hours later, I found it swimming upside down, which is really rare, so I gentlely scoop it out into a pail.

Treating with half dose Melafix now, with freqent 50% water change, once in the morning, once at night, this was since Saturday morning.

Today (Monday) I had to go back to work, so I missed the morning water change, hope the fella can hang on till I go home tonight.

Picture is taken yesterday evening.

I there is a stink of dead flesh (rotting fish?) in the water and I suspect there is some kind of infection. What else can I do aside from dosing melafix and keeping up with water changes?

Appreciate any advice. The catfish is inexpensive, I got it for less than a red note but that was like 3 years back and I really hate to lose it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ouch!
    That is a serious wound!
    Now, really only continuous melafix and water change. Do aerate the water even though you are performing the 50% water change.

Now is to prevent the infection from killing him.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seriously speaking, with that bad of an injury, the best cause of action is to humanely euthanize it to prevent further suffering.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think this looks serious enough for it to be totally cured

I really doubt it will survive under this condition no matter how you try treat it. I agree that the best thing to do now is to humanely euthanize it to prevent it from further suffering
    ~| MakE ThE BesT oF EverythinG ThaT LifE BringS TheiR WaY! |~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. I kind of expected it. Sigh. I will go home and seriously consider it.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My condolences.

Looking at the situation, it will be a real tough challenge to nurse it back to health. Water has to be kept clean to prevent infection. Salt as to be added as well. Melafix and aeration as suggestion by Valice.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    try using external bacterial from interpet.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Eric,
    For a last attempt, I would go for a bath treatment. Befuran or potassium permanganate. Becareful of the dosage and treatment period( usually 15 mins with max aeration on ) If the fish jumps or dart around when using potassium, it is getting burn, readjust the dosage.( potassium I think no more than 5 mins ). Quarantine the fish in a separate tank, on your UV. Forget about changing water until 1 week later. I think its a flesh eating parasite, not sure though.

PS: it is call a last attempt because it will usually kill the fish if it doesn't cure it. From the looks of it, you probably have about 20-30% success ratio. Good luck. May the catfish gods shine on you tonight.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oooh.. the agony of watching helplessly.. frankly, doesn't look good. just be prepared for the worst.. feel sad for you, especially when we have formed some kind of bonding with our pet. should it go, may it go in peace
    "Tandas Berkualiti, Hidup Berkualiti"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys!

After careful consideration, I decided to give it a shot to try to save its life.

At the moment, I am using melafix with aeration as suggested with 50% water change each evening when I get home.

I have not added any salt, will add a little during water change this evening.
    - eric