Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What's the procedure for moving fishes to a new tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What's the procedure for moving fishes to a new tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have got myself a bgger tank and is in the process of setting up the tank. I am moving the filter pump and CO2 system to the new tank itself.

While waiting for the new tank to cycle, how do you guys deal with the exisiting fishes ? Do you just keep them in pails and aerate them ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's what I did. On top of this, feed them sparingly.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yep, but on top of that i seeded sponge filters in the main tank for 2-3 days prior to transferring the fish to the large containers (i used large ceramic jars to house the fish temporarily) and to use the filters in the containers. i also do daily water changes for the fish in the containers to get rid of excess food/waste/ammonia.

as of today, i've kept discus overcrowded in those containers for 3 weeks and have not had a single casualty =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As my new tank was in a different position of the house, I set that up and aerate the water with an air pump... transfer the plants in after a couple of days. I've also put in a piece or 2 feeder fish to accelerate the eco system.

After the water is aged and I feel that it is ready (the feeder fish gives me the indication), I exchanged my filter & all accessories with the pump - note that the fauna is still in the old tank. This time with aged water and old filter + media, I cycled for about a week for assurance then full migration.

While the fauna is still in the old tank with only an air pump, feeding is zealously stingy to prevent ammonia spike.