Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Advice needed: Setting up my first Betta tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am looking for a bit of advice and ideas, i have never kept betta before. I am planning on setting up a tank which is about 1 gallon.The plan is to have it well planted so i don't need to use a filter, i have java moss to use and not sure what else maybe glossamara. I had an idea as the tank has an open top, Is it possible to use bamboo in the tank. Will a couple of cherry shrimps be ok in there with him. Any advice , ideas, help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Caesar; 17th Aug 2007 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1 gallon should do well for the betta. Java moss is low-light plant so you can even try it with ambient lighting. I have some similar low maintenance betta setups at this thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=22668.

For cherry shrimps, I think the betta could prey on them. Better not keep together.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Bettas are also good jumpers, so if you are housing them in open top tanks, just be careful not to spook them.

I have read that bamboos will rot when submersed long term, so you would probably have to replace them in time to come if you decide to use them. I don't know how long it takes though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Bettas are also good jumpers, so if you are housing them in open top tanks, just be careful not to spook them.
    Good point. But so far, I observe that the long-tailed ones do not jump. The short-tailed ones do jump.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    thanks juggler nice looking, low maintenance tanks. I see you have plants coming out of the water, what species are they, would like to have plants coming out of my tanks. Yes decided against cherry shrimps was told may be ok for a while then when sheding skin they would probably turn into dinner. Amano shrimp are bigger any experience with them and betta. Had wondered if they would jump.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to ask, the tank is for wild betta or show betta?

They have different requirements.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Soho, it's for Betta simplex. He already posted another thread on it and the fishes have spawned. So he should be on top of the requirements.

The thread on Betta simplex here,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=31940