Images
    Country
    Singapore

Badis badis

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sharing my Badis badis. This guy can be quite a terror in a tank. Never disturbing other community fishes, but only at my Apistogrammas.

So far, the Ap. iniridae and Ap. cacatuoides were no match for him.

Last edited by Quixotic; 19th Aug 2007 at 16:42.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really nice fish...caught my eye when I was at the forum main page. Love those blue fins. Envy
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OOo! Badis!
    A really nice fish that's a little under appreciated in the hobby.

Here's mine in horny colour.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What a difference in body coloration. These two pictures will be a good reference for future hobbyists.

Keep snapping guys! Your photographic contributions are appreciated!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Benny.

As always, beautiful shot CK. These guys are like the chameleon. For guys who wants to see the horny colouration. You can use a mirror, these guys flare at the mirror too! And sometimes you get a full darken body without much reddness.
    Last edited by genes; 19th Aug 2007 at 10:17.
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    These fellows are quite aggressive. I remember I had one, and soon after my C. hastacus start losing an eye and torn fins. And the bugger is so hard to catch! I literally tore down the tank to catch him.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    They are chameleons alright. The horny coloration is also to assert their territory and domininance. My alpha male displays coloration in CK's photo when flaring at another male, which then immediately took on the coloration in gene's photo.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtyr View Post
    These fellows are quite aggressive. I remember I had one, and soon after my C. hastacus start losing an eye and torn fins. And the bugger is so hard to catch! I literally tore down the tank to catch him.
    Are you sure it is the work of B. badis? They pretty much leave other fishes alone, except those with body shapes like theirs (e.g. Apistogrammas). Nothing bad has ever happened to my Boraras urophthalmoides, so you may just had a highly stressed individual.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eugene,
    those badis badis are beautiful, where did you buy them from?
    richard

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Eugene,

That is a very nice badis badis, beside where you get it from, what did you feed it with?

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Got him from NA about 2 months ago. Not sure if its still available. He eats everything.
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, the LFS still confuses everyone by labelling the more commonly seen D. dario as B. badis. B. badis is more than double the size of D. dario therefore yes, it'll take on the Apisto since it is also teritorial.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 27th Aug 2007 at 07:38. Reason: Formatting

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm newbie here...

Would a betta and badis badis co-exist? If not, which fish will be stronger?

Think this fish would look nice with genes's badis badis.

Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Err.. I think Badis dont grow as big as bettas... in fact I think they are generally small in size. Correct me if Im wrong
    Last edited by benny; 4th Sep 2007 at 01:53.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by zyblack View Post
    Would a betta and badis badis co-exist? If not, which fish will be stronger?
    Not a good idea. They would certainly have territorial disputes. Betta are "slow" fishes and could be at the wrong end if B. badis is not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoss View Post
    Err.. I think Badis dont grow as big as bettas... in fact I think they r generally small in size. Correct me if Im wrong
    TBoss, welcome to AQ.

If you have not discovered this yet, SMS type of language (e.g. 'r') is discouraged in the forum for the benefit of our members. Do kindly refrain from SMS type of language as they are difficult to read and understand for our members alike, including those that are not from Singapore.

I think that the B. badis that you are thinking of is NOT the real B. badis.

If it is red and small, it is actually D. dario which is incorrectly sold as B. badis in the trade and hence, referenced incorrectly in a number of websites.

B. badis can grow up to a size of 8cm TL (total length).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    More often, LFS label D. dario as scarlet badis.

Anyway, there is a batch in poly art. Not much colours yet. Bring them home, give them good conditions and watch them colour up.

ck

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Before i start,apologies for bringing up an old thread.
    Bought my 1st batch of D. dario from polyart as well to try out the fishes.
    Other then the single casualty out of the 6 due to territorial behaviour,the 5 turned out well. As mentioned by CK Yeo, conditioning is needed before colours start to show.
    Just to add,the only reason why i started keeping "badis" was due to the picture i saw in genes avatar. I always assumed that my scarlet were just a variant of the blue badis which is in fact, the real badis.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 29th Sep 2007 at 21:14. Reason: Split posts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    polyart had a batch of the true badis badis some weeks back, but it was labelled blue badis. i've told the guy there about his error last week and he's since started correctly labelling the dario dario.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry guys. There is no such term as true badis.

Don't mislead the rest and yourself.

There is only a B badis (big size one which you guys are refering to) and a dario dario (Scarlet badis)

For the B badis there are actually different type. I personally used to have 4 to 5 different species of the red colour tailed B badis. The different is on the patterns on the body.

Quixotic, correct me if I am wrong for the above information.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha sorry to have to point out some logic here nicholas, but if dario dario is being sold as badis badis, then the true badis badis would be the badis badis itself, no? it's not so much misleading people as pointing out to people the difference between what a badis badis actually is, and what the LFS labels as badis badis.

For a more extreme example, let's say a LFS labels cherry shrimp as cherry barb. then we would be saying the true cherry barb is a fish not a shrimp...not misleading anyone at all

but what you are saying is mostly correct. unless things have changed, there is only 1 species in the Badis family. There is a SUBspecies within the species Badis badis (there is only 1 species, not 4-5 species like you said). An example would be Badis badis burmanicus.

i think dario dario used to be a subspecies of Badis badis known as Badis badis bengalensis, but it has since been reclassified to Dario dario. I'm not 100% sure on this last nugget of information though.

Hope this clarifies things, there's nothing wrong with referring to the "true" Badis badis when the LFS commonly label a "false" Badis badis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yixiang,

What I am saying is we need to encourage each other in using the correct scientific names of the fishes. I am also learning to use the proper names.

We can't blame the LFS as their main interest is to sell fish or whatever names given by their supplier, they will used it. Not all shops will take the effort to use the proper scientific names. According to my knowledge, only a few shops like Biotope, Eco Culture, Midori, Gratiola (Closed down), etc do make the effort.

LFS doesn't make the effort but that doesn't mean the members in here must learn the wrong way.

In the forum, we are trying to encourage people to have a deeper knowledge and understanding of the fishes they keep.

Cheers

PS : Any further discussion, we can have it through PM.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast