Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anywhere to buy Levamisole?

Anywhere to buy Levamisole?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    Read off the internet that levamisole is the drug of choice for treatment of camallanus infection. Just wondering if anyone knows any vet who stocks this drug or where to get it.

Thx a milliion

Finally found the place to get the drug.
    At the large bird shop at Serangoon North, near to mount pleasant vet (branch).

Ask for a dewormer for birds and it's $7 a bottle of 10mg/mL Levamisole HCl.

Strange that they can be selling it off the shelves as this is a controlled drug in the pharmacy, if available at all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do u know what's the dosage for the fish???
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Well, I read off the internet that another person with a similar medication with the exact concentration and constituents had used 1ml per 7.5L of tank water.

I used slightly less than the dosage recommended to be safe though.

You are also supposed to change 100% water after 24 hrs and keep the water acidic (pH 6-7). Temperature supposed to be 30-31C, but my base tank water temperature these few days were 29C+ and I left it at that.

But for my case, after 15hrs, I noticed my 7.5" arowana had a slight respiratory distress, so I'm changing 50% of the water after 15 hrs and probably another 50% at 24hrs.

Also, more 30% water changes everyday or every other day.

But, I'm not too sure if the slight respiratory distress is due to my upping the CO2 dosage to lower the pH or is it due to the drug.

The clown loach, SAEs, yamatoes and snails are fine though, they show no signs of distress at all

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican, what is camallanus infection? Knew it as dewormer for birds. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Well, camallanus is this nasty nematode that likes to infect fish.
    In mild cases, the fish might still look healthy, but sometimes, you can spot the parasite sticking out of the anus of the fish. It's really fine, like a red hair and sticks out 1-5mm out of the anus.

As the host gets more infested, more of these worms can be seen sticking out of the anus. You might see a bulge at the anal region of the fish and the fish looks thin as the parasites feed off the host.

Soon, the host will die.

The parasite needs a host for all its stages of live, either copepods in your tank, a fish etc.

Don't try pulling it out from the anus of the fish, the hooked jaws will probably pull the intestines out as well.

So far from what I've read on the internet, levamisole is the only drug to treat it. 24hrs and the worms are gone. It's supposed to be very specific and targets only nematodes. So, snails and shrimps should be safe.

So far, my SAEs and clownloaches are alive. So are some shrimps

So far, I've tried metronidazole, some other anti internal parasite medicine from Huey Hung aquarium and they all don't work as well for my case.

Today, there's a lot of gel like substances in the tank. Probably due to the chelating of stuff in the tank, so the tank looks cloudy. I've changed 50% of the water 2x today, but it's still cloudy.

This is a nasty disease and is particularly prevalent in guppies and other live bearers. Better hope that none of your fish gets it.

Where did u get e Metronidazole ?

From our friendly dentist, hobbit6003

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/26/2002 10:30:39 PM

Probably due to the chelating of stuff in the tank

----------------
    don't think so, vic...