Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some advice on planted tank

Feedback Score

need some advice on planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello,i need some advice on planted tank.
    recently,i just set up a 2ft X 1ft X 1.5ft planted tank.it has a 50w heater to keep the temp constant at night and a cooling fan to keep tempteratures lower in the day,lighting consists of two 15 wat flourecent tubes,filtratrion is on a rena iv2 internal filter.CO2 injection comes from diy sugar yeast system,1 frm 2litre bottle the other is 1.5 litres...i didn't place any substrate fert but have about 1.5 inch deep fine gravel,plants in there now is java moss,ceratopteris thalictroides,one other plant with slender leaves and a tinge of purple on the underside and another plant which i don't know what it's called...it has semi broad leaves and is short,i use them as a foreground plant. was just wondering if my set up is done up correctly and when should the first water change be? currently there are no shrimp nor fishes in them, fishes will come probably in 2 weeks,shrimp maybe end of this week...should i also plug in the aeration tubing into the filter to aerate the water or is that unnecessary? how long should i leave the lights on for? and as for fertilization,how often and what brand of fertilizers do u recomend? currently,i scattered some ocean's free root monsters around the base of the tank. any and all help and advice given is deeply appreciated. THANX!! [] []

Feedback Score

recently,i just set up a 2ft X 1ft X 1.5ft planted tank.it has a 50w heater to keep the temp constant at night and a cooling fan to keep tempteratures lower in the day,lighting consists of two 15 wat flourecent tubes,filtratrion is on a rena iv2 internal filter.CO2 injection comes from diy sugar yeast system,1 frm 2litre bottle the other is 1.5 litres...i didn't place any substrate fert but have about 1.5 inch deep fine gravel,plants in there now is java moss,ceratopteris thalictroides,one other plant with slender leaves and a tinge of purple on the underside and another plant which i don't know what it's called...it has semi broad leaves and is short,i use them as a foreground plant. was just wondering if my set up is done up correctly and when should the first water change be? currently there are no shrimp nor fishes in them, fishes will come probably in 2 weeks,shrimp maybe end of this week...should i also plug in the aeration tubing into the filter to aerate the water or is that unnecessary? how long should i leave the lights on for? and as for fertilization,how often and what brand of fertilizers do u recomend? currently,i scattered some ocean's free root monsters around the base of the tank. any and all help and advice given is deeply appreciated. THANX!! [] []

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    sorry about posting in the wrong forum section,this is my first posting...[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i would suggest losing the heater
    singapore doesn't need heaters, even for discus
    our ambient temp is soo high, + in nature the fish also experience temp fluctuations

your setup is lacking base fert, but you can compensate by adding fert directly to the base of the plants
    i have no idea what those 2 plants you have are, have a pic?

if there are no fish in there, the tank won't cycle
    you just have to add in your fish slowly
    ie maybe 10 small fish every 2 wks
    OR you can wait till your plants are growing well, in which time you can add more fish
    if possible, change water every 2 days when you first introduce your fish to the tank, this will offset any possible screwup in the water params

any liquid fert imo is pretty much the same
    i have a good impression of tetra, dennerle, bioplast but alas not for the taiwan brands
    lighting, keep it short at the beginning, this will save you a lot of algae problems
    7, slowly increasing to maybe 11 when your tank is mature is a safe bet

Feedback Score
    Thanx so much for the advice!
    the heater in the tank is more of to keep the temperature constant at 26 degree celcius...is that ok? what do u mean by adding fert directly to the base of the plants? how do i go about doing that?...once again...thanks for the advice...[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    where are you placing your tank?
    in an air conditioned room?
    if not your tank temperature will not go below 26 deg c, even with a fan blowing.

adding fert directly means pushing fert deep into the gravel.
    usually placed close to the roots for 'ease of access'.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its the correct forum...

Start water change 1 or 2 weeks after you add fishes.

No, do not aerate the water. You'll end up causing the CO2 to escape.

lights should be on for about 10 to 12 hrs a day.

You should not just scatter the root monster. You should push it into the gravel.

For fertilisers, root monster is not bad. You should also get a liquid fert, but start at half dose. There are many brands... Flourish, Sera, JBL, UP, Dennerle. Take your pick. Frequency, read the label. Personally, I use Flourish and root monster. Dennerle is supposedly quite good, but it is very expensive.

Your lights are a too low. You need about 2.5 to 3 Watts per US gallon. Your tank is about 20USG and you only have 30W of light.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    the tank is in my room and the aircondition is on when i get home from skool in the evening to the next day...

the roots monster is scattered around the tank and pushed into the garvel

as for the lights...does tt mean i need about 50 wats for a 2 ft tank?..is tt a little over kill? the tank is about 2ft length,1 ft width,1ft 6inch height,but water is filled to about 1ft 4 inches.

thanks so much for all the help...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope, not overkill. In fact 2.5 W/G is for low to moderate light plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Trust vinz man...best to go 3-4W/gallon if you want high light plants...for bubbling effect, it will be a balance of CO2 and lightings in which any of the elements is limited bubbling would not be seen. [] Although no bubbling does not mean no photosythnesis but it sure makes it easier to know that once your plants are bubbling!
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    i don't think the top of my tank has anymore space for another light...
    and i don't think my pocket is deep enough either.is the lighting in my tank now really insufficient?...what if i changed the lights to 2 20 watt tubes to raise the level to 40 watts?...right now..all the plants i have seem to be bubbling...is that a sign that that there is enough light?

thanx so much for all the help so far![]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2x15watts is kinda too little.. dun think got 2.5WPG... a standard 2ft for high lights plants shld be ard 2x36watts

I agree with DEA abt the heater, dun quite understand y u need to stablize the temp since the temp wouldnt fluncate that much...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You're getting a lot of bubbling? You are sure they are only 15W lights? Very interesting. If your plants are doing well, then don't fiddle with the setup yet. I'd like to see this for myself... check your email.

Feedback Score
    i should think the lights are both 15 watt tubes...do u noe where i can find 36 watt fl tubes? yeah,i'm getting quite alot of bubbling,they seem to be healthy,even notice 2 new shoots coming out from the gravel from the ceratopteris thalictroides in the corner.[] the heater i guess is necessary cos the tank is in my room and my windows span from ceiling to floor and is glass,there is no ventilation in my room in the after noon and it traps alot of heat,in the evening when the air con goes on the temp can go from 28 / 29 to 25 / 24 deg celcius. the heater is to keep it constant at 26 and the cooling fan is to lower the temp in the afternoon.[]
    once again,thanks for all the help...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Read about some stuff before that say lower temperature can hold more oxygen in the water than high temperatures..dunno whether that is the reason why your plants are bubbling so well even though by theory it ain't enough light by theory. Maybe that explains why some of Takashi Amano's setup has lower total light ratings when compare to the standard guide that we follow *(Perharps the lumens of his bulbs are more higer or he is able to judge the amount of light the plants in the tank require base on his experience!). []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that's correct
    solubility of gases in warm water is less than cold water

Feedback Score
    is there such a thing as a 36wat fl tube for 2 ft tanks...i actually went around searching for tt before but most fish shops tell me the highest they have for 2ft is 20 watts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    36W light is a PL. Not FL. Those compact type. Take a look at Parco Bugis Junction lightings and you will have some idea. Cost $9-$17 each and you need to change the ballast also(can't use with your current 15W ballast. Need 36W). Suggest using electronic ballast and that will cost you another $25. Enough to burn a hole in your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast