Country
    Singapore

Customs check on aquarium livestock

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just curious to find out from all the veterans here,
    if i happen to chance upon a very nice fish that i would like to purchase from overseas, bearing in mind that the transport back home would be pretty fast, maybe half a day. is it possible to bring the fish back home without getting it confiscated by the customs??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not by AVA or even the customs at the other country, unless it is an endangered native. The one that will get you might be the airlines, as they have an issue of carrying water that has plants or animal matter on board the plane. I know as this is from my experience with Cathay Pacific, I was so furious as they gave me the green light right to the last gate, where they said no, I am sorry you can't.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You mean we can bring in stuff like plants/fishes/animals by road? like from Malaysia??

My friend tried to bring her dog into Singapore and has to get some permits before the dog can cross over...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 3rd Sep 2007 at 13:53. Reason: Removing immediate quotation
    ~| MakE ThE BesT oF EverythinG ThaT LifE BringS TheiR WaY! |~

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    from malaysia yes, been doing that for a while.

You can check singapore custome web site. If I remember corectly it is K if less than 10 fishes and less than 3 pots of plants
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by daveteogh View Post
    You mean we can bring in stuff like plants/fishes/animals by road? like from Malaysia??

My friend tried to bring her dog into Singapore and has to get some permits before the dog can cross over...
    Dogs, cats, etc different rules.

But fish, I last remember is 50 pieces fuss free, provided they are not on the endangered list or protected list, or prohibited for any other reason. So basically, you can't bring back arowanas (without proper paperwork), but you can bring back 50 pieces of Louhan if you wanted.

But Shadow says 10 pieces, so go check the website.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    anyway now cannot carry on water more than 100ml... so can give up trying putting fish in your carry on luggage..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    anyway now cannot carry on water more than 100ml... so can give up trying putting fish in your carry on luggage..
    for the sake of discussion, if it is possible to hand carry the fish, would the fish survive the x-ray scanner ? or would there be any "side-effects" arising from it being scanned ?
    Harith

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    No side effects, otherwise some members here would have gotten "mutant" fishes instead...

Hey, isn't there a search function provided by AQ? Do a search on e.g. "overseas" and there is plenty of discussions, including this one...
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=27896

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    singapore side, for live fishes, as long as not endangered, not more than 3litre of water and not more than 30 fish per person. no need to declare thru custom.

packed each fish in individual "holder" and ckecked in with your lauggage.
    cant hand carry due to "liquid" restriction.

most important is the custom from the departure country, will the custom from the departure country allow you to buy/bring live fish out of their country.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    when packing your fish do not fully inflate the plastic bag.. leave about 30% for expansion.. as the plane climbs the pressure will decrease and the air will expand..

if possible put the semi-inflated plastic bag into a hard container to prevent any squashing..

best of luck...
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What if you double plastic bag your fish (outer plastic bag with a little water) and packed it snuggly into a mini styoform icebox. Have the ice box checked in with your luggage. Would you still be allow to bring it into S'pore?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if the plastic bag is tightly inflated and tied .. then when the air pressure drops, the air in the bag will expand and will either burst the bag.. even if double bagged.. or undo the rubber bands.. if as you mentioned that it is snugly packed into a mini Sty. box.. my guess is that the box will give the package some additional strength and may do the trick.. if I were to do this I would additionally just use masking tape to tape it all round.. BUT I wouldn't try it with expensive fish.. "heart pain " if it doesn't go to plan.. If the fish are small sized .. then I would suggest just using pet bottles.. .. just squash the bottle a lil then cap tightly.. make sure you have OXY in there ..

cheers
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    What if you double plastic bag your fish (outer plastic bag with a little water) and packed it snuggly into a mini styoform icebox. Have the ice box checked in with your luggage. Would you still be allow to bring it into S'pore?
    follow the AVA rules... YES.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    discus bring back from bkk possible?? hahaha
    Ian
    fish: discus/endlers
    new addition::: CRS advanture

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not, much you take take with the 3L limit (per person).
    but if you have enough headcount in your travel group...
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the fish is small, you can put them into plastic bottles. Its quite safe and prevents it from being crushed
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Last year, me and a Hong Kong friend brought back 5 fighting fishes from BKK in mineral water bottles. After a week in Singapore, he pick 3 of the fishes and bring them back to Hong Kong the same way. It was before the new liquid rule so they were brought as hand carried. Had not encountered any problem. By the way, we did checked AVA's website on the rules before buying the fishes from a internet cafe in Bangkok.