Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Robert,
    Yup, I like your idea of don't care where it's from as long as it meets my requirement. After all, a wood's a wood.

Stan,
    Damwood?? Hahaha!! Dam wood from China, CDW (Chinese Damwood )

Then what about second hand driftwood that has been in someone else's aquarium for a long time? Does that make it tankwood??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i m not too sure about this, bro angeladdick says that acidity of water conts to drop when it decays....SOOO...how can it be : as long as it meets my scaping requirement, wood is wood.
    there surely is a difference and a more obvious way of telling the difference...the effects after putting them in the tank will be different RIGHT?
    so i hope there is someone out there who cld actually tell us the importance of differentiating the 2.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Ben, then you should not forget to do regular WC's to dilute it.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Agreed, without regular WC, even without wood in your tank to alter the water chemistry, you will have problems. So it becomes not so important anymore because the effects are slow and with regular WC, it become almost negligible. That is why we say as long as it fit our requirements.

Anyway, before using the wood - unless you get those expensive pre-treated ones - most people will soak it for a while to treat is before using. This makes it suitable for use like making it able to sink, letting the tannin leak out first, etc. So, the effect is even less, provided you do constant WC.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    A slight digression, but can we use the driftwood we find washed up on local beaches (after soaking in fw for a week or two?).

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrafreak View Post
    A slight digression, but can we use the driftwood we find washed up on local beaches (after soaking in fw for a week or two?).
    i think you will need to soak for at least 2 weeks with regular fresh water change and also to measure water perimeter until it's same as fresh water before you put it into your tank. pls advise if my method is wrong, thanx.

regards,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've always thought of bogwood as the more "earthy" dark brown one and driftwood as the "airy" lighter brown or greyish looking one.

I'm sorta getting confused now...

anyyywaaayyy

Quote Originally Posted by tetrafreak View Post
    Tried it with a set up before, but it was a hermit crab terrarium so salinity wouldn't have affected the setup.

Well. I think you might have to scrub it with a 100% soap-free sponge (just buy a steel wool sponge ) to rid top layer of salt/impurities then soak it for a few weeks or even a month, with frequent water changes when soaking. Then, try the wood out in a set up with cheap easy to replace feeder fish or smth. If they survive then it should be more or less safe for your fish. Thats just my 5cents worth..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Bogwood vs driftwood

I like this thread.

I was advised to add in driftwood to my tank to helps lower the PH level. So I want to find out more and found this thread.

A little confuse, but let base on the conclusion finding that I need bogwood (dark and heavy ones, usually) and WC to helps lower the PH level. Thanks.

Also, I like Stan's comments on Damwood, now I will visit the zoo more often to collect the woods from the tiger cage, soon I will have "Tiger woods".....

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

My understanding of bog-wood and drift-wood is as follows:-

Bog-wood: Wood that has sunk into the soil / peat at the bottom of a water body and have been pickled by the organic acids present in that condition. This type of wood are normally thicker and/or parts of stumps of cleared wood before dam building. Then they also could be thinner branches which wind and water brought into the area at low water level and got stuck into the soil by sedimentation and pickled. Bog-wood generally will slowly release acid over the years.

Drift-wood:Wood that have fallen into a water-body and has never got stuck at the bottom; instead has remained floating either high in water or nearly fully submerged just below the surface. Such wood finally end up on shores (and beaches) and depending upon the period of time that they have been in water and the nature of the wood will show wide varieties of response when introduced into an aquarium. Some may release a lot of tannic acid turning the aquarium water into a beer coloured liquid (dark or light your luck) some may not. Anchored inside a tank, these drift-woods slowly undergo a process very similar to formation of bog-wood and with time will end up as bog-wood and act like one, just wait a decade.
    A rolling stone which has come to rest

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm still confused... till this day

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by gyjd View Post
    i think you will need to soak for at least 2 weeks with regular fresh water change and also to measure water perimeter until it's same as fresh water before you put it into your tank. pls advise if my method is wrong, thanx.

regards,
    Ive been buying driftwoods from NJ and Delaware and believe me, it takes months to have these driftwoods water-logged and released their tannins.

I would usually get 1" dia x at least 12" long driftwoods and soaked it on a bucket full of water. I submerged driftwoods by placing a stone over. Tannins would come out after few weeks.

Driftwoods must be fully submerged otherwise it wont be water-logged.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

In addition to my post, I would like to add that a third type of wood (other than those I catagorise as bog-wood and drift-wood) finds its way into many aquariums. These I call - weathered-woods.

This type of wood starts as fallen branches or trees either by stormy winds or eroded soil from flooding rainfall - but these stay on dry land and are weathered by the local seasons over the years. Such wood have a more polished surface and can take a very long time to get water-logged.
    A rolling stone which has come to rest

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

May I know which wood is more prone to Black Brush Algae, BBA?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all,

I think I gotten myself "Bogwood" since its physical appearance is branchy and lighter in tone.
    Can anyone out there advise me how to submerged the bogwood in water since I have difficulty in submerging them. They just keep floating up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For your reference :

How to make bogwood sink?

Quote Originally Posted by jssl View Post
    Hi all,

I think I gotten myself "Bogwood" since its physical appearance is branchy and lighter in tone.
    Can anyone out there advise me how to submerged the bogwood in water since I have difficulty in submerging them. They just keep floating up.
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Andrew once again.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

very intersting topic.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

is this the so-called dirftwood?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by d2hpeter View Post
    is this the so-called dirftwood?

actually i find this bog wood quite similar to red moor wood , can anyone confirm its the same wood ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its bog wood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast