Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Vallisneria spiralis is not growing well...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Vallisneria spiralis is not growing well...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've had a few plantings of Vallisneria spiralis in my 29gal tank for about two months now, but it is doing worse. When I first put planted it, all the old leaves slowly dissolved/melted away. A few weeks after that I noticed a few new bright green leaves coming up, but later on realized that these too were dieing off...
    The tank is low-tech, with no changes to the lighting fixture (24in. bulb) since I bought it 6 years ago. (it is a plant light) I don't dose any fertilizer, mainly because I am not knowledged in that, and none of the fish eat plants. I am going to get a new light fixture with bigger bulbs which will increase the lighting a lot, but am wondering if that is the main problem...

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience with Vallis, only plant the root otherwise it will melt away.

Bigger bulb, assuming higher wattage, will require extra CO2 as well as fertelizer. With low light, 2W/gall, you can go away without CO2 and fertelizer.

So you might want to post more detail, what is your light wattage, CO2, type of gravel, kH (if you know).
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Do you do large water change recently? This may cause them to melt too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    umm... yeah sorry I didn't post the water perameters... I'm not able to do it right now, I'll post them when I get back home.
    I don't add CO2, type of gravel is small, river gravel- I didn't add any base fertilizer for I didn't know I should have if I wanted plants. Light is a little less than 2W/gal. But as I have said, that will soon change- probably next week or so.
    There are not many plants... a few small plantings of dwarf hairgrass, two types of bulbs that I haven't looked up yet (these are fairing pretty well, yet have slowed growth since I moved them to the back corner, I'm thinking it is the amount of light hindering them. They still send up a few flowers now and then.) three onion bulbs, and some tiny dwarf lily pads I brought in from my garden pond. They are growing well and have numerous leaves on them.

I do a 20-25% water change every week, and haven't added any chemicals/salt to the water in well over 8 months.
    I will post the water perameters later on today if I can.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I'm sorry, our phone line has been down for quite a while so I couldn't post the water parameters until now. Somehow a tractor unknowingly dug up the phone line...
    pH= 7.1
    GH= 3*dGH (53.7ppm)
    KH= 6*dKH (107.4ppm)
    Nitrate= 10ppm
    ammonia and nitrite both shown as 0.
    I'm not sure how to use the GH/KH knowledge, and wether to post the dGH or the ppm.
    Something that might help: I've noticed the past week that my lotus's new leaves are sortof rotting at the edges and only in a few places. Also, some new java fern leaves have splotches without any green color. They are kind of see-through. Sounds to me like a mineral deficiency of some kind. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Eveything that I have read about Vallisneria spiralis says that it is a very easy plant to grow- but I have not found any parameters to go by. I'm guessing I shall have to add fertilizer of some kind, but not sure which one(s). Does anyone have a suggestion? Please try to keep it simple though- I've already got a glimps of how complicated it can turn out to be! I don't want to have to worry about co2 equipment.