Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

White spot medication ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    there were whitespots on a number of my tetras on sunday. started dosing Seachem Paraguard but after 3 days there don't seem to be improvements.

Change to Sera Costapur yesterday but this morning discovered a shrimp has died.

Can anybody recommend a effective medication for white spots that is safe for shrimps and catfish as well ? I am having a 3x1.5x1.5 planted tank.

Please don't ask me to quarantined the disesed fish. Tried catching them yeasterday...it was quite impossible with the numerous plants around.

thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    You are going to have more problems if you keep changing medication. I would suggest to read about Ich and understand the cycle before dosing any medication.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...9&postcount=14

I think the improvements may not be visible within 3 days. For Ich, you will probably need to dose for a longer period.

Most medications are supposedly safe for shrimps, but medications also bind oxygen in the tank, so dissolved oxygen gets depleted in the tank. Faunas (like shrimps) that need high dissolved oxygen will not take this well. This is why it is often advised in the instructions to increase aeration during medication. But of course, mileage may vary.

You can use salt and high temperature for curing Ich. Use the search function and search for "white spot". There should be information in there on the appropriate instructions. However, again, some faunas don't take salt and high temperature too well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some lfs owners recommends increasing the temperature and adding salt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just an update. Sera Costapur is an effective medication for white spots. Whitre spot totally eradicated but with associated casulties- 3 rummy-nose, 4 yamatos and 2 cardinal but the rest of my 30+ fishes survived.