Images
    Country
    Singapore

Roaches in vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello, i would like to keep an insect vivarium. I like keeping creepy crawlies and am looking for magadascar hissing cockroaches. Anyone knows where such things can be found (in Singapore)? Alternatively, i would keep praying mantis instead.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I kept a praying mantis when I was in my Uni days.
    Cute fella, all my hall mates were always very eager coming to my room with their catches of spiders, moths, small lizards etc. But I didn't buy the fella, found it in my room one night as I have the habit of leaving my window open.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes i used to keep praying mantises too, they are easy to keep. Actually my Dad has sucessfully bred them several times. Fed them crickets and dragonflies, i am abit bored with them actually. A big hissing roaches would be nice in a vivarium yes? Never seen it on sale anywhere before.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, hissing roaches!

Yikes, won't they stink? But to each his own. Personally, I am a bit embarass to say I have roach-phobia (which I think is pretty common).

Just a suggestion, why not jumping spiders? They are pretty, comes in
    various colors, albeit a bit small but still visible.

If you can get other type of mantis will be cool instead of the usual green
    color. If my memory serves me well, I think I've seen a white mantis – super cool.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hissing cockroaches don't produce that unpleasant odour, can't fly and are slow. Thats why i would want them. I also have a small centipede i caught yesterday, already fed it a mealworm, it liked it! I was thinking of getting one of those large ones with fangs clipped. It would be hard to feed it until it moult but i would like to try it. I was thinking of starting a roach colony and feeding my centipedes with them I just have to hide this aspect of my hobbies from my girlfriend .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh man! You're really into creepy crawlies.
    All the best in finding the roaches and keeping your setup hidden from your girl!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaihulud View Post
    Hissing cockroaches don't produce that unpleasant odour, can't fly and are slow. Thats why i would want them. I also have a small centipede i caught yesterday, already fed it a mealworm, it liked it! I was thinking of getting one of those large ones with fangs clipped. It would be hard to feed it until it moult but i would like to try it. I was thinking of starting a roach colony and feeding my centipedes with them I just have to hide this aspect of my hobbies from my girlfriend .
    Lol, i was so tempted to reply "madagascar lah!" at first But might i suggest you get some praying mantis's instead? They're rather rare and it would be nice to see their numbers bounce back. Alternatively you could stick a WTB post in the market place. I'm sure some of the local breeders will contact you. And another thing, don't bother hiding it from the girlfriend mine might not like touching the bugs, but she's glued to the vivarium everytime i feed my frogs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My girl is very delicate, and allergic to nature , abit difficult because i love nature. I have just placed a WTB post. I used to keep a rhinocerous cockroach when i was in Australia, gave it up to another hobbyist when i returned to Singapore.

But might i suggest you get some praying mantis's instead? They're rather rare and it would be nice to see their numbers bounce back.
    Praying mantises are not that rare yet. My dad breeds them for his hobby, noone really wants the babies, so we end up releasing most of them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    You would be able to find roaches of a different kind in singapore..
    They will look like the hissing roaches you've talked about but even thought they are about the same size they can move faster.
    However, these are not common and you have to look in the forest (whatever we have left) for them..but its hard because they are burrowers.
    Commonly i think they are known as surinam cockroaches...i guess they aren't too big.. but still if you look... you'll find big ones.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heh! Seen those cockroaches before, they are fast! That is actually a negative, they can fly too. Will be very hard to handle and if they decide to breed and surely escape....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lol, you guys are sooo making me want to set up a 6ft vivarium...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jwuog View Post
    Wow, hissing roaches!

Yikes, won't they stink? But to each his own. Personally, I am a bit embarass to say I have roach-phobia (which I think is pretty common).

Just a suggestion, why not jumping spiders? They are pretty, comes in
    various colors, albeit a bit small but still visible.

If you can get other type of mantis will be cool instead of the usual green
    color. If my memory serves me well, I think I've seen a white mantis – super cool.
    Me too.I go berserk if i see roaches..and no one escapes alive if any in my home of course .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yikes... dude that there is one dangerous post my friend
    If I were a fish, I'd BREED all Day!