Country
    Singapore

DIY coke bottle CO2 and glass diffuser

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

i know this has been mentioned quite a few times and i notice that some managed to force CO2 out using their DIY CO2 while others cant and say the bottle may explode?
    i decided to try it out myself and bought a cheap $5 taiwan brand glass diffuser from polyart. after nearly 2 hours, no bubbles is coming out from the ceramic plate yet. there are a few things i want to clarify:

1) is the glass diffuser supposed to be filled with water in it? i thought maybe extra pressure needed to push the water out too if got water.

2) for those who did succeed in using glass diffuser with your DIY CO2, can tell me what bottle/container you are using and how long it took to build up enough pressure?

i dont know whats the max my 1L coke bottle can tahan. is it when i try to squeeze the bottle but cant squeeze then is maximum already?
    Last edited by hebi; 8th Sep 2007 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using flipper and it took 24 hours to get fist bubble comming out and it is about 1 bubble every 2 second. With ceramic diffuser it may take longger.

It not suppose to be fill with water.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

1) No. As air escapes from the diffuser, water will enter the diffuser, you don't have to, and it is very difficult to fill it up beforehand.

2) Can't comment on this as I have never tried it before.

My 2 cents is, you will probably be better off exploring other methods of diffusing your diy co2, can consider diy'ing a co2 diffusion bell?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Use tom barr's DIY Internal Venturi Reactor. Do a search in the forum and you should find it.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    Hi,

1) No. As air escapes from the diffuser, water will enter the diffuser, you don't have to, and it is very difficult to fill it up beforehand.

2) Can't comment on this as I have never tried it before.

My 2 cents is, you will probably be better off exploring other methods of diffusing your diy co2, can consider diy'ing a co2 diffusion bell?
    i have tried that before. but the diffusion rate is slowwwwww. what do you guys think about using a limewood diffuser( requires less pressure but also produce small bubbles) with a bell method? because my tank is only 1ft so will like to keep things neat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Problem with diffuser is algae can grow on the surface and block it. Pressure will keep increasing and your bottle burst.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good news!! i change my glass diffuser for a limewood diffuser and within 1min, tiny bubbles are coming out. its really small , almost like those from using ada diffuser. hope my spiky moss and moss ball can grow better after this. thanks all for your advices.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Great to know that. Since you're using DIY co2, which I presume logically will be feeding your tank with co2 24/7, having too effective a diffusion method may not be a good thing after all.

Cheers!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some diffusors need pressure to operate. Your DIY bottle probably wasn't pressurized enough to push the gas through the tiny pores of the ceramic plate.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    seems like good things dont last long.i woke up today and discover that no bubbles are coming out from the limewood i test if its working by softly squeezing the bottle and bubbles came out. reason could be the slimy stuff that is formed wif DIY CO2 that clog up the limewood or lack of pressure. shall wait and see.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what's the quantities of yeast and sugar did you use?
    did you check if there are any leakages?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you are better of with a CO2 reactor... You can try to find the external ones so that it does not clog up your tank...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For DIY, in my opinion, fliper still the best. Even with externa reactor, depending on your pump flow rate, you have water pressure from your pump that agains your CO2 pressure.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i use 2 cups of sugar( cup around 10cm height and radius 2cm), 1/2 teaspoon yeast and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a 1L coke bottle. the yeast is still working, i can still it producing lots of bubbles. i have checked there is no leak. but i notice that bubbles are having a harder time just coming out from the tube if i place the opening of the tube facing the bottom. pressure i guess? think i will reuse the bell method till i get myself a pressurized CO2 tank at the end of the year after my A's

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hebi View Post
    seems like good things dont last long.i woke up today and discover that no bubbles are coming out from the limewood i test if its working by softly squeezing the bottle and bubbles came out. reason could be the slimy stuff that is formed wif DIY CO2 that clog up the limewood or lack of pressure. shall wait and see.
    Did you use a 2nd bottle which serves as a bubble counter and also to dissolve some stuff which causes the slime buildup?
    See this setup http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-faiz.html
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nope i didnt use that. i thought the purpose of that is to prevent tank water to get into the yeast solution and vice versa? anyway, whats the slimy thing? also, i saw a video on youtube, title is something 100% diffusion, looks nice and seems effective.

O/T: anyone know where i can find aquascaping books like 'the style of ADA' and aquajournal? kinokuniya?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NA sell those book
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    recipe looks ok.
    having a bubble counter helps to reduce slime build up.
    remove the limewood diffuser and see if you have co2 coming out of the tube.
    try replacing the limewood diffuser or search for a plastic airstone.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya there is bubble coming out but much slower compared to a week before though. not consistent as in like sometime every 12 sec 3 bubbles. the thing with plastic airstone is that the bubbles are much larger, but still better that just the big bubbles. anyway, can someone tell me how does the slime form? does it mean if i use a bubble counter( is it the seperation bottle or really those kind like a glass tube ?), the slime will form at the bubble counter instead of the outlet?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, before i got my co2 tank, i too used diy.. this is my experience..

i installed a 1 way valve.. so that only the gas can pass through.. without the water being sucked back..

i used a flipper as my diffuser. almost got myself the glass ceramic diffuser, but the LFS uncle advised not to as DIY co2 not enough pressure..so get a flipper instead.

and.. i ensure there is no leakages by spraying soap water on the connection points, if the soap water bubbles means there is a leakage..

also, i get bubbles after minimum 2 hrs.. and last for about 1 - 2 weeks..

cheers

joys of keeping fishes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast