Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question about killifish behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i recently bought a female gardneri killifish to accompany my long suffering lonely male.

and even before i released the female from the (acclimatising) bag, i saw the male swimming up and down eagerly, waiting for me to release the female. And when i did, he started pestering the female non-stop for sex. (sorry for the lewd description, i am no david attenborough)

but after one day. he stopped. and started to act in a territorial fashion. Chasing the female away from his comfort zone... (which is a bunch of narrow leaf java fern). but he seems not to mind when they swim together away from his comfort zone.

so my questions are
    1. Is this normal killifish behaviour?
    2. Did i identify wrongly and bought a juvenile male instead? and the original male killi realised the relationship was doomed from the start?

any insight provided would be greatly appreciated. thank you for reading.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Sep 2007 at 11:22. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Your fish is probably Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri?

While I have not kept them before, I would think that there is nothing wrong with their behaviour. Most killies, from what I have read, can be a little territorial or aggressive at times. Having lots of plants would probably help make them feel comfortable.

I think it should be fairly easy to sex them, as females are a lot more drab than the males. But without knowing (seeing) what you have got, I cannot be definitive as most killies sold in LFS are males because they are a lot more colourful.

Some information can be found here,
    http://www.bka.org.uk/BKA/SpeciesDetails.php?ID=315