Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Need to control KH for planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Need to control KH for planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does planted tank really need to control KH to be at certain degree? I understand that KH act as a buffer for PH but, do we really need to control KH inorder for best plant growth?
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Does planted tank really need to control KH to be at certain degree? I understand that KH act as a buffer for PH but, do we really need to control KH inorder for best plant growth?
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ana! From what I have learned, different plants do require a certain level of KH to grow. Basically KH act as a buffer for pH which is especially crucial when you inject CO2. This is because once there is no buffer the pH could skydive. However, read from krib site that Takashi Amano does not bother with the KH thingy. This is due to the fact that chemical additive have to be added to the tank in order to raise the KH value. Personally, I raise the KH initially by adding baking soda and check the KH with a test kit before and after water change. After a while, you will know how and when to add baking soda and don't bother to test KH.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Er.. personally, dun really bother abt testing of KH, PH, CO2.

I just inject CO2, usualy fert. dosing, water changes.

No complains from my fish or plants. []
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience:

In the bigining of my planted tank hobby I did check my kH and it seemed ok everytime.... so I stopped checking cos the kH tester finished.
    One fine day my fish died 1 after another. Did not know whats wrong so I did was change my water even more regularly. But the fish still kept dying. Reliased that the water had a problem I bought the kH tester and tested.... it was almost zero. Later I found out that the tap water was also the same. From then on, I will add baking soda during every water change....

In conclusion.. check your water supply, if there's some hardness then it shud be ok.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe if you don't want to add baking soda and with tap water and tank water at KH 0. Dose CO2 very slowly and wait for 6hrs<---method extracted from aqua journal-- to see what happen (plants bubbling? Fishes coming to the water surface or breathing heavily?). If plants are bubbling and fishes are swimming normally..then most likely the dosage is good and stable.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    What's a good kh value to have in a riccia/moss only tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am not sure about what KH is good. But generally not zero or not too high...like 10+?. 3~8 range should be ok.

Some KH is good. Firstly, it helps to buffer the pH. Secondly, some plants, like valisneria, uses KH as an alternative carbon sorce to CO2.

BC

Feedback Score
    I keep my KH at 4 for my riccia tank. So far ok.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Today will try to measure the KH again. The last time I measure the KH was very long time ago. I heard that if the KH is right; the plant will grow with think leaves. Anyone could enlighten? Thanks.
    Welcome to visit my-blog