Country
    Singapore

Smile Hillstream loach with CRS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    A question, can comm hillstream loach/Borneo suckers with a CRS tank ? Will the loach go for the CRS or the CRS will disturb it ? Any specific hillstream loach would be preferred ?

Thanks in advance for the advise ...

Thanks...
    Shawn

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes, generally, you can stock the Borneo suckers with your shrimps.

I can't say about other hillstream loaches, there are many species, so you would need to narrow them down and look up their requirements and behaviours individually.

However, most hillstream loaches originate from habitats where the water is fast flowing. This is their preferred environment, although there are generally no problem housing them in tanks without replicating this. CRS would not appreciate the torrents.

When it comes to feeding, the hillstream loaches may be a little aggressive and territorial. They would have little "fights" (which actually does no serious damage) to get to the food.

Some hobbyists have concerns over this as shrimps are generally too small and will lose out on the feeding. IMHO, this is no big deal as shrimps are scavengers and will find food anytime, anywhere. I would see this is as a personal preference instead.

Read this if you can, understand their behaviour and requirements, then decide for yourself if they are suitable with your shrimps. Normally, for CRS, hobbyists prefer to house them on their own.
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    Yep, had run thru through the site and couple of others on loaches. Think will be getting some Borneo suckers to comm.

Thanks...
    Shawn
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Sep 2007 at 00:09. Reason: Please kindly avoid SMS lingo: 'thru'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Shawn,

I'm now keeping 4 hillstream loach with some cherry and yamato shrimp, no problem for the past 2 months. Only thing is that they are sometime not so gentle while eating, especially when scared they will dash for cover

BTW, they are quite sensitive to medication and water condition, and also possible to suck their way out of the tank glass. I lost one after doing a big water change.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Sep 2007 at 00:17. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    l had 5 hillstream loaches in my 3 ft with tetras minnows but not a single 1 survived, less then 1 month.
    My other fishes are all ok for at least 6 months now.
    Don't know why.
    How to take care of them?
    My temperature average 28c, planted with cherries.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Sep 2007 at 00:04. Reason: Formatting, spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi berlinjs,

Since I'm having shrimp in the tank, I avoided salt and medication in my tank except for Seachem Paraguard which I have used due to a outbreak of whitespot; especially on the hillstream loaches. My temp average at 27c with one fan on 24/7.

According to some research, for them to do well, they would need more oxygen in the water with a good water circulation. I initially put in a air stone in the tank just to make sure they can make it. I'm now feeding them with Nutrafin Spirulina Algae Tablets and Hikari Crub Cuisine.

IMHO, once they have settle in the tank, usually there's no need to take care of them.

However, I do have a 4ft tank in my office that cannot keep hillstream loach too
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Sep 2007 at 00:05. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    surfsgan, Merviso: I have moved the "where to find" related information to a new thread in Aquatalk, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=32420

berlinjs, I assume that the hillstream loaches you are referring to are Borneo suckers (Gastromyzon sp.)?

Do try to be as specific as possible (e.g. using scientific names) to avoid any misunderstandings, because when someone talks about hillstream loaches, they are referring to a group of different species of loaches. While hillstream loaches share some similar requirements, they can also have specific characteristics of their own.

Generally, they do better at lower temperatures and prefer fast flowing water. Do you have algae in your tank? Their general requirements are in the link I provided in earlier post, so please take some time to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by www.loaches.com
    For the Sucker-belly species firstly, you need a good algae growth on your rock work. They will take prepared foods, but ultimately, it seems that algae and all the little goodies it contains are a large contributor to long term success with these fish. In their natural habitat, they graze the rocks for micro organisms (aufwuchs).