Images
    Country
    Singapore

DIY external reactor using AMDUS water filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Would like to share my DIY external reactor using AMDUS water filter. Some peple call it NA external reactor. Love this NA external reactor because it is easy to clean and easy to make

The parts are shown below:

Parts list:
    1) AMDUM water filter canister $17
    2) 3/4 to 12mm hose connector: $3.50 (Hose size can be anything 12mm, 14mm or 19mm)
    3) DYMAX CO2 atomizer (can't remember the price, reuse my old atomizer $1~$2)
    4) Less than 1ft 3.5cm outher diameter PVC pipe $0.60
    5) Air hose connector (can't remember the price as well)
    6) Epoxy glue

Total around S$27
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    First by removing the red color button and replace it with air hose connector. Glue it with epoxy glue. To remove, just unscrew the red button from inside. This red button was originally used to expell air trapped inside the canister.

-Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Secondly connect the CO2 atomizer to the air hose connector as show in the picture below. This is optional. You can also use those air stone, as long as it can fit.

-Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Next connect the 3/4 to 12mm hose connector to both inlet and outlet.

-Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lastly glue the PVC pipe to the blue color filter head and you get your self DIY external reactor. You can also add couple of bio ball inside the canister, it will trap the CO2 longger. All done in less than 10 minutes except for the fact that you need to wait until the epoxy dry

Last edited by Shadow; 12th Sep 2007 at 23:47.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Clap clap clap Nice and clear. Thanks for the hard work.

Just a few doubts. Why PVC pipe? Where you add the bio ball? Inside the PVC? Outside? How the reactor works?
    Mix-Max uses the rotating blade to break up the air bubbles and thus allowing faster dissolving rate. Is it the same as in the case for bio ball?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    PVC look nicer , NA used hose, basically it is just to prevent the water from inlet go straight to the outlet. Just adding extra path. the bio ball is outside the PVC. The purpose of bio ball is to hold CO2 longer so that it is completly disolve into the water. The CO2 was break up by the CO2 atomizer.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh i see. Why not just filled up the canister with bioball? I think it also can prevent water from inlet going straight to outlet. Or even CR? can allow more media for BB growth Does it work this way?

Mod, maybe can make this thread sticky. I think it will benefit many new hobbyist in the future

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The pvc end should have 90 degree bends to facilitate the water to turn in the reactor. Bioball is not needed in my opinion as the pressure in that reactor will force the co2 to be absorbed into the water. If you add bio-ball, it will slow down the water movement.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    The pvc end should have 90 degree bends to facilitate the water to turn in the reactor. Bioball is not needed in my opinion as the pressure in that reactor will force the co2 to be absorbed into the water. If you add bio-ball, it will slow down the water movement.
    What NA CO2 reactor has , is to put a 16mm hose with small little L-shape plastic and put the hose on the water filter head , no special glue is required.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    The 90 degree bend at the end of PVC pipe may not be necessary, in my opinion it wont make any different. Bioball does reduce the pressure, in my case I always over rated my filter flow 8 to 10 times volume.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    What NA CO2 reactor has , is to put a 16mm hose with small little L-shape plastic and put the hose on the water filter head , no special glue is required.

Cheers
    that is true, but PVC look better
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro, you may want to explain the direction of water flow to clear up the air about having a PVC pipe there. IMHO, L elbow is only needed if the water enters the canister from the pipe.

Well done! Thanks for sharing with everyone. Mine will be a variant of yours & I shall post it upon completion.
    Last edited by uklau; 13th Sep 2007 at 10:39.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert, where did you get the canister from? Most of there selling like $35-39.

How is your reactor sited? Like the one selling in NA upside down or upright?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For the canisted, you can try contact Li Liang at 9012 3684, you can also SMS him.

I put it up right. My thinking is CO2 (gas) alway move up in the water, thus if I put it upside down the undesolve CO2 will follow the flow and come out though the outlet. By putting it up right, the undisolve CO2 will be trap inside the canister. This is also the reaon why you can add bio ball, to trap the undesolve CO2 but flow rate will be effected.
    Last edited by Shadow; 13th Sep 2007 at 11:10.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    For the canister, you can try contact Li Liang at 9012 3684, you can also SMS him.

I put it up right. My thinking is CO2 (gas) alway move up in the water, thus if I put it upside down the undissolved CO2 will follow the flow and come out though the outlet. By putting it up right, the dissolves CO2 will be trap inside the canister. This is also the reason why you can add bio ball, to trap the undissolved CO2 but flow rate will be effected.
    Robert,

Hmmm the Li Liang number I've got is different from yours. I just called him and his number is 9012 7020. The number that you gave belongs to some chinaman.

Water that comes down from the pipe does not have a "stirring" motion. It is kind of hard for the co2 to dissolve is it? I think by putting a elbow will yield a better result.
    Last edited by stephen chung; 13th Sep 2007 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The 90 degree bend at the end of PVC pipe may not be necessary, in my opinion it wont make any different. Bioball does reduce the pressure, in my case I always over rated my filter flow 8 to 10 times volume.
    The reason for the elbow is to make the water swirl in the chamber better.

Personally, I never liked the small black elbow used in the NA one. The exit is too small, thus restricting flow. The 90 degree elbow also obstructed water flow. I replaced it with a green curved one. The diameter is much bigger and the gradual curve should, in my opinion, cause less resistance. (E.g. you can't speed through a L shaped bend in a car, but you could easily power through a curve much smoother and faster.)
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    By having the bend, it will swirl the water in the reactor as what Vinz has pointed out. This swirling motion will force the co2 into the water at the top part of the reactor and also move AND mixed the water coming from the canister filter and the co2 enriched water in the reactor.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert, I also suggest that you put the diffuser all the way down to the bottom of the canister. Because right now the diffuser is at the outlet of the canister. Co2 might just got flush out before it could be dissolved.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's inlet, uncle Stephen .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast