Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Snail problem

Feedback Score

Snail problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a puffer which goes after the tails of my guppies and yamatos when the snails are gone.Kind of a pest after getting rid of another.Also quite difficult to catch in a planted tank.

Nature aquarium webpage recommends the Ram Cichild as a good anti-snail agent.
    Have anyone used them before? Are they effective?
    Which LFS have them at present?

Thanks

Feedback Score

Snail problem

I have a puffer which goes after the tails of my guppies and yamatos when the snails are gone.Kind of a pest after getting rid of another.Also quite difficult to catch in a planted tank.

Thanks

Feedback Score

Snail problem

Thanks

Feedback Score

Snail problem

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some loaches and other dwarf cichlids too.

I have Rams in my planted tank. Rams will eat baby snails and keep the snail population under control, however, they will not totally eradicate them.

Note that rams are territorial. A pair will usually fight unless you're lucky to find a mating pair. For a small tank get only 1. For larger tanks, get at least 4 (for balance of power) else the dominant one will stress the weaker to death or close to it. Its better if there's plenty of plants or decor to break territories/line of sight and for hiding.

Loaches are more peaceful, but certain ones are more effective then others. Also find out the adult size of the loaches before getting them. Some get really big (after a number of years) like clown loaches.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can either use Ram or other dwarf cichlids.. make sure they r planted tank friendly.. u can get Apistogramma too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/27/2002 10:09:42 AM

Some loaches and other dwarf cichlids too.

I have Rams in my planted tank. Rams will eat baby snails and keep the snail population under control, however, they will not totally eradicate them.

----------------
    That's the good thing. We still need some snails to eat algae at hard-to-reach areas where sucker fish cannot reach.
    Yes. I think Rams eat snails too. Found snail population dropping after adding them. Can also try freshwater ghost/glass shrimp.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks