Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Where can I get Metrodinazole?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any bros out there can advise where to get metronidazole for medicating internal parasites for angels? I lost one recently to some form of parasite, very slow moving but the fish absolutely wasted away over a period of 2 months. Now have other fish displaying the same symptoms. Can any bros advise how to deal with this?

Thanks,
    Phil AA
    Last edited by AngelAddick; 14th Sep 2007 at 13:58. Reason: Correct name: Metronidazole

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    you can get it from some Discus Shop.

PM me if you need the contsct

How you know got internal problems ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    once you start the medication you should continue with it for about 12days.. preferably with a heater at 30C.. the time frame is to make sure that the full life cycle of the parasite is covered so that it will not recur once the medication stops..

all the best...

ps: the more important thing is to find out how the parasite got into your system...
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Interestor View Post
    you can get it from some Discus Shop.

PM me if you need the contsct

How you know got internal problems ?
    Thanks bro, another bro has PMed me the info.
    I can't confirm for sure that it is internal problems but likely it is.
    I bought 6 pcs of long-nosed back in June. Quarantine for one month, treated with anti-bacteria, but did not de-worm or de-parasite.

After transferring to main tank. one piece developed eating disorder, went really skinny and eventually died after two months of struggle. Because I was focussed on this one, I did not notice anything wrong with the others. There was no stringy white poo or anything to indicate what's wrong.

After the first one died, I have been observing the remaining five: two of them are beautiful, body all filled out, great appetite. The other three continue to look unhealthy, fins drooping, constantly get chased by the healthy two. Stomachs all sunken in, eye ghostly...

It was still really difficult to chase them and catch them to isolate them; but I have now got them in a hospital tank and will proceed to treat them for internal parasites, with water heat raised to 30+ degrees. Will see if I can help them get healthy and try and fatten them up.

Thanks,
    Phil AA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AA24 View Post
    once you start the medication you should continue with it for about 12days.. preferably with a heater at 30C.. the time frame is to make sure that the full life cycle of the parasite is covered so that it will not recur once the medication stops..

all the best...

ps: the more important thing is to find out how the parasite got into your system...
    Thank for advice, bro. These are wild-caught long-nosed angels. I think the parasites were latent in them and not dealt with during the one month quarantine when I first got them. I have three pieces displaying sunken stomachs, so I will treat them first, hope to get them back to full health.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelAddick View Post
    Thank for advice, bro. These are wild-caught long-nosed angels. I think the parasites were latent in them and not dealt with during the one month quarantine when I first got them. I have three pieces displaying sunken stomachs, so I will treat them first, hope to get them back to full health.
    sunken tummy is quite serious, hope you can find intestine medication.

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,
    That's why I've posted here. I am also surprised that the three I have isolated have not shown any signs of distress in the three months since I kept them. As mentioned, two others are in excellent health, nice roiund bodies, high fins very alert. These three that are 'unwell' are swimming around like normal, and other than looking skinny and not eating, are behaving normally. And they were very hard to catch!

I have started them on metronidazole with temparature set at 30+. I will treat and observe if their appetite improve. I intend to fatten them up if they recover before putting them back into community tank.

Meantime, are you or any bros able to recommend intestinal medicines? I am thinking of treating them with levimasole although they don't show any visible signs of worms.

Thanks,
    Phil AA

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi AngelAddick,

since is a wild angel, i would suggest you do a whole batch, not only those affected a full QT of internal and follow by external bacterial. dont take chances.

CHeers...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Bro,
    Sad to hear your loss. Good luck with your treatment. Anyway, you might like to know that metro is not effective against tapeworm and other internal parasites - I am not really sure which ones. If these are from the wild, just doing metro may not be enough. You can go to discus shops and ask the shop keeper for help and see if they can recommend any internal parasite medications or not. Sunken belly sounds serious so I suggest you do it fast.