Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to get rid of Malayan Trumpet Snails (MTS)?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

How to get rid of Malayan Trumpet Snails (MTS)?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does the kuhli loach eat snails like the mts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have used Khuli Loaches to keep the MTS in my tanks under control.
    More discussion on snails currently at http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=32288
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    haha if you want to get rid, maybe you can pass to me ? looking for them.......

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They are common. I always see them at polyart and C328.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyMF View Post
    haha if you want to get rid, maybe you can pass to me ? looking for them.......
    Hi lazyMF, I've alot big and small. If you are interested, I can give you foc. PM me. I'm staying at central.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkarboy View Post
    Does the kuhli loach eat snails like the mts?
    To answer your question directly, I think you've got to lure them into a container with food to trap them, many will crawl into the container/bottle. Then remove them in mass. Having Khuli or horse-faced loaches may keep them in check (I think loaches eat up the eggs). But I have horse-faced loach but I still find many MTS.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    trumpet snail is one of the toughest snail to combat as they hide in the substrate when bright and only come out in the dark..

so far, I have successfully win the combat against them with 2 clown loaches.. and till today, I still see some of them here and there but quickly disappear after a while..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fi5hkiller View Post
    trumpet snail is one of the toughest snail to combat as they hide in the substrate when bright and only come out in the dark..

so far, I have successfully win the combat against them with 2 clown loaches.. and till today, I still see some of them here and there but quickly disappear after a while..
    Clown Loaches may be hard to catch out later. They are known to leave bite marks on Echinodorus plants too. I had 4 Clown Loaches in my previous 4ft tank but they didn't get rid of my MTS. I think they are too big to bash through the thick growth of plants.

Now I use the Khuli Loaches. Can't wipe out MTS totally but at least now I have to try harder to find them.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Sorry lazymf, I erm live in malaysia..... i think trapping them might take a lot of time cause i've got a 5 ft tank....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps my "accidentally" hit into incident would sheed some lights. I think it was my bioload, which was too high that all my snails (including MTS) & shrimps were wiped out. API NO3 test kit registered 40PPM. API NH4 indicator is not indicating any NH4.

However, all fishes (tetras, guppies, platties & pencil fishs) are still surviving healthily until today. Some Otos went to heaven, thought .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    They are common. I always see them at polyart and C328.
    common ? i visit auntie from time to time at least twice a week..... did not see any display, the snails i saw was ramhorn, horned snail.... but not any trumpet snail. maybe i didnt open my eyes big enough. haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops, I thought you meant Kuhli loach.

MTS usually comes FOC with plants. I have MTS in a 'Wussy' tank(shrimp,kuhli,shelfordi,galaxy). They come out to dine on algae wafers with everyone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Previously when i was still keeping planted tanks, the trumpet snails are the most difficult to get rid of.
    from what i remember, puffer is not effective at all, as trumpet snails burrow into the substrate when lights are on or in the daytime. And its shell are too hard for the puffer to crush.
    As for loaches, wasn't sure about it. But if you want to remove the loach, its practically impossible as they move like thunder.
    Best way out is to use a trap to trap the snails or remove manually but its really a hassle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Removing manual is the method I use. I do it once in 2 weeks when I am free at home. For a tank I take out about 15 snails on average (mine does not look at the MTS though). Seems to be keeping them in check.

I tried dwarf puffers once and they were quite effective in keeping the population in check but then when they are done with their job they start going for the fishes tails and then you would have to find another home for them. That part is still ok as you can keep them in another smaller tank (not main tank), But getting them out of a planted tank is no easy task. Took me a while to get them out.

Oh... another thing, once you remove the puffers for a while, the snails will come back.... haha. Then the cycle starts again.

So take the effort to control the food to the fishes and remove them manually once in a while as you can see them on the glass walls.
    Alex