Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Growing Hemianthus callitrichoides in 1ft tank (~2 Gallona) with 13W light

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Growing Hemianthus callitrichoides in 1ft tank (~2 Gallona) with 13W light

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Does anyone have success experience in growing HC in 1ft tank (~2 Gallons) with 13W light? Does the plant creeping? is it enough light? Although it is 6W/G, but rule of tumb does not apply for small tank.

Thanks in advance
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pretty tough i would say. I tried on a 1.2ft with 22W (2 x 11W) PL and no co2 with temp at 24-26deg. It still grows taller (reaching for light) rather than creep. I did not dose co2 or ferts as i didn't want to risk my CRS in it.
    Founder of theWaterBox

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how deep is your tank? 22W and still not creeping.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm interested to know about this too, any experts can share their experiences?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think even with 22 watts(2 x 11 watts bulb), the intensity of the 11 watts bulb is not enough to make the HC creep.

I have manage to make HC creep on a one footer cube over a single 24watts PL light. I think even with a single 18 watts bulb, it should be sufficent as the intensity is greater than 2 x 11 watts bulb.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So are you saying that the intensity of 11W can't reach the substrate surface? It can reach but the light intensity after travel ~1ft distance was not enough to make HC creep
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes. And based on my experience with a 1 foot cube, a minimum of a single 18 watts PL is needed for high lights plants.

I have however succeded with glosso on a 17 cm high nano tank with only 9 watt clip on light. So the height of the tank does play a big part.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the input. Height certainly play important role.

If I'm not mistaken glosso have less light requirement compared to HC
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for what it's worth, the Colourful Aquarium owner told me 13W over a 4gal is sufficient to grow HC into a lawn

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Such little tanks dont count for WPG, 30w
    13w you could grow Moss, because with 13w i couldnt even grow watersprite

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpelledBAN View Post
    Such little tanks dont count for WPG, 30w
    13w you could grow Moss, because with 13w i couldnt even grow watersprite
    vurbul did mention that he successfully grew glosso in a 17cm nano with just a 9W light though.

something weird that i've noticed in researching for an adequate amount of light for my 4gal cube. i find that most singaporeans have advised against going too high, with 23W being the maximum advised and 11-13W being the norm, while most american sites and forums recommend what ExpelledBAN is recommending: minimum of 23W and the norm being 30+W.

i'm starting to wonder why there is such a stark difference in the recommended amount of lighting between singapore and america. could it be bulb/reflector efficiency, or the different ambient temperature perhaps?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it is also depend on the height or depth, what ever you call it, of the tank. It is something to do with the energy used by the light to travel under water. That is why Vurbul was talking about individual light bulb wattage instead of total wattage. For example you can make HC creep in 1ft height tank with single 18 watts but not with 2x11 watts (22 Watts total).

In other word 11 watts light bulb do not have enough energy to push the light travel 1ft distance in the water and provide enough light for HC to creep. The same reaoning why we need MH light for tank with 2ft and more height

My 2 cents and it may not be correct
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    vurbul did mention that he successfully grew glosso in a 17cm nano with just a 9W light though.

something weird that i've noticed in researching for an adequate amount of light for my 4gal cube. i find that most singaporeans have advised against going too high, with 23W being the maximum advised and 11-13W being the norm, while most american sites and forums recommend what ExpelledBAN is recommending: minimum of 23W and the norm being 30+W.

i'm starting to wonder why there is such a stark difference in the recommended amount of lighting between singapore and america. could it be bulb/reflector efficiency, or the different ambient temperature perhaps?
    I have to agree with you. Hobbyist over there or Europe tends to have very high lights over their nanos.

Here's a nano tank journal by George Farmer. He uses 18 watts T5 bulb over the 12x8x8 inch tank and later upgraded to a 24watts bulb.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...iwagumi-9.html

The video.

YouTube - Practical Fishkeeping: George Farmer's nano tank

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thinking of doing HC lawn in my 1.5ft tank(13gal) with 2 x 36W PL

After seeing the nano tank with 24w, maybe i should go ahead with the plan.
    Chee Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

11w, 23 cm tank after 6-7 months. CO2 injection, unsure of rate.

Search for thread on - 23 cm hillside.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow sunfire, that's awesome...so 11W over a 23cm cube is sufficient to grow HC well...gives me hope for my 13W over 25cm cube haha...how's maintenance like? and is it possible with just excel but no co2?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know.

Actually I squirt 1ml of Aquatilizer every week or so with the water change...

And you know, I removed all the HC eventually because the HC was so packed, and the tank so small, I couldn't trim it properly.

I used one of those energy saving bulbs....you know the ones by Phillips or Powerpac? E14 base.

I think you must have Co2 injection. I think that's essential.

The rest just takes time.... and patience.... in not disturbing the HC.

Do note some things;

Tank is only about 19 cm high, with substrate, the distance from substrate to light is not a lot.

So my opinion to the thread starter is to go with at least 18-22 watts. My other 1ft tank has 22 watts and glosso creeps nicely.

Also you the aquarist are the biggest threat to your plants growing....impatience...poking, replanting, etc...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
    I don't know.

Actually I squirt 1ml of Aquatilizer every week or so with the water change...

And you know, I removed all the HC eventually because the HC was so packed, and the tank so small, I couldn't trim it properly.

I used one of those energy saving bulbs....you know the ones by Phillips or Powerpac? E14 base.

I think you must have Co2 injection. I think that's essential.

The rest just takes time.... and patience.... in not disturbing the HC.

Do note some things;

Tank is only about 19 cm high, with substrate, the distance from substrate to light is not a lot.

So my opinion to the thread starter is to go with at least 18-22 watts. My other 1ft tank has 22 watts and glosso creeps nicely.

Also you the aquarist are the biggest threat to your plants growing....impatience...poking, replanting, etc...
    Your nano tank is going by CO2 injection? Is it a little overkill?
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, its one of those half litre bottles...and I think the results speak for themselves dont they?