Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    haha i see, well, so far i do not have any plans to breed them as my sterbais are all inside my community tank. so I guess being able to breed them is kind of like a bonus huh? nonetheless i do carry out daily water changes (but only 5&#37 for all my tanks. must be pretty amazing to see cory fries.
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    My sterbai is also inside a community tank. I do water changes weekly (around 50&#37 with water conditioner. Why the large water change? Because of the discus, not because I want to make them breed. I think the water condition must have been good because the discus and the corys both breed in there. The espei did not breed as far as I know. Maybe they do breed but the fries didn't survive.

As for my sterbai fries, I only see them when they are around 1 inch long.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha yeah i know discus need a lot of water change. always admire discus breeders not really expecting my sterbais to breed, as long as they're healthy and happy i'll be very pleased already... but then i'll definitely welcome any cory spawns!!! must be fascinating to see these cute fellas spawning!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Discus breeders? Yeah, that would be Richard and Stan and some other people. After breeding them once, I almost gave up on breeding due to the extra water changes needed for the fries. I will probably not be breeding again if my first batch of fries didn't go down the drain.

- Luenny

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi does anyone knows how to differentiate the sex of cory?
    i have no idea !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The subfamily Corydoradinae includes all members of the genera Corydoras, Aspidoras, Brochis and Scleromystax. They share some similar characteristics, so this is applicable for most of them as well.

One of the method is by using colour. Some species show colour dimorphism where the males exhibit brighter and more intense colours. However, some of them may differ so greatly that you may be fooled into thinking that the males and females are different species. Also, most of the Corydoras spp. do not show distinguishable colour differences. Those that show colour dimorphism include those in the "elegans" group and also Scleromystax barbatus.

The other method is by looking at shapes of the fins. The pectoral (in particular) and dorsal fins of mature male Corydoras can be longer and is more robust than females. If this is indistinguishable, check the ventral fins. Males have pointed ventral fins, while females are more rounded. Most Corydoras can be sexed this way.

Size is another method you can use. Males are generally smaller than females of the same species. Females are much more robust, with rounded body shape, appearing wider and deeper. Males appear thinner and "skinnier".

In the genus Scleromystax, mature males can be distinguished from females by the bristles on their cheeks (like plecos).

For good measure, this article by Corydoras guru, Ian Fuller, provides a detailed introduction to Corydoras.
    http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article33.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks quixotic for the useful link..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Recently noticed 2 of my pgymy corys sticking very closely together.
    They've been showing such behavior eversince i started feeling guilty and did more frequent water changes with ICED water due to the weather!
    They've left the group of 8 behind and swim together constantly.
    Possible pairing?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been lax on water change during the recent months. I noticed an aeneus and a similis without barbels. It couldn't have been the lapis sand as some of my corys have been with the same substrate for 3 years without problem. I've resumed my weekly water change and the 2 cories have their barbels back.

Also, I realised my emperor tetras have been taking out my pygmy cories one by one. Therefore emperor tetras + pygmy cory = dead catfish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by aquanatix View Post
    Recently noticed 2 of my pgymy corys sticking very closely together.
    They've been showing such behavior eversince i started feeling guilty and did more frequent water changes with ICED water due to the weather!
    They've left the group of 8 behind and swim together constantly.
    Possible pairing?
    possible, but corys don't pair like chiclids, it's usually a group of males(3-4) that chase the fat female around. From what I've observed, with my corys, the males rub the top of the female's head with their snouts, the males start gyrating in front of the females trying to form the "T" position.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep pgymy corys with blue emperors tetras. Don't see the tetras going after the corys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Questions on Corydoras

some of my cory (albino and leopard) brush their body occasionally against the substrate or some other surface. It's difficult to see any white spots on the albino. can't really see any white spots on the leopard either.

Do they have ick on their body or is that their normal behaviour?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Abu Dhabi

Questions on Corydoras

Ok, the WoW website started working last night and I found the answers to my last two questions but I still need to know what kind of graphics card my computer needs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

how do you keep the temperature at 23 degrees for spawning?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You don't need 23 degrees to spawn Corydoras. In our climate, if you want the fast trick to trigger them, just do a water change with a bottle of cold water from your fridge.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I intend to dip a bottle of frozen water in to lower temperature. How long should the lowered temperature be maintained? It's currently at 26 degrees under fan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You have to be very careful using the bottle of frozen water. If a fish comes close and touches the surface of the bottle, it can have effects on them. 26 degrees is good enough for spawning Corydoras. I remember my pygmaeus spawned right after a thunderstorm, when I did a 50% water change straight from the tap. Pretty much zapped them into action.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've put it in a plastic bag tied and submerged into tank water. Any other factors that can stimulate them to spawn?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not that I know of, other than sudden temperature change/big water change. Feed them well, and if you have a sexable pair, a sudden temperature change can trigger them to spawn. In mature tanks, if the Corydoras are happy and well fed, they can randomly spawn at any given time. However if you disturb them, they will not spawn for quite some time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

should they be living in a tank of their own or can they also spawn with guppies living with them?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast