Country
    Singapore

Re: 4 footer planted tank Journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfinder78 View Post
    I placed the filter inlet at the side which is hidden inside the cabinet.

As for the outlet, I actually run a rainbar on top of the tank and position it in the centreline of the tank. Outlets (those small holes which allow water to flow out) and position 2 feet away from the inlet.

With this I think I got a good flowrate as I never got any major BBA issue. The only time I got a major algae attack is when my CO2 tank run empty and it took me weeks before I found out.

Hope this help and bros with better idea can advise me here too. Thanks
    Hi Bro,

Thank you..I saw your inlet in one of the photo, but what about the outlet? I'm still confuse..is the outlet covered by the wooden panel that is on the upper portion of the tank? do you mind if you can take some photos for me to see? Cos I'm planning something like that for my new place, however I'm not planning to have the whole tank extend to the ceiling and because of this, i'm still finding ways to solve the location of the outlet.

Thank you..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

finally done after so many months.

Day 1. alot of problem cause equipment too long never touch. External co2 reactor leaking. Now tank is without filter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day 2. After purchasing new co2 reactor, bubble counter and check valves. New problem arise, reactor leaking from outlet. Used to have similar problem before but before i could do anything it just stop leaking hopefully it will be the same this time round. Any bro got any good solution for this problem?\

At the same time saw some new shoots growing. Not sure what is the name for the plant I used. Thio told me they are carpet grass.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day 2. After purchasing new co2 reactor, bubble counter and check valves. New problem arise, reactor leaking from outlet. Used to have similar problem before but before i could do anything it just stop leaking hopefully it will be the same this time round. Any bro got any good solution for this problem?\

At the same time saw some new shoots growing. Not sure what is the name for the plant I used. Thio told me they are carpet grass.
    The external CO2 reactor outlet and your hose should be tight fitted. It should not be leaking at all. Is your hose oversize? Or did you push in your hose deep enough into the reactor outlet?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Day 1. alot of problem cause equipment too long never touch. External co2 reactor leaking. Now tank is without filter.
    very nice!
    looking forward to your pics after cycling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Been 3 weeks since I last setup my tank.

108 watt of T5 operating for average 6 hours daily
    No CO2 only excel dosing
    no water change only water top up

Till now not much growth. Is my setup consider a low tech tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow, excel for 4 foot is pushing the limits here from my own experience, I would have gone with CO2 anything 3ft onwards. Yes, your setup is still low tech.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I personally feel that it will be much cheaper in the long run to have CO2 than to use excel. Just imagine the amount of Excel you'll need to suffice a big tank like yours!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi soulfinder78,

I hope your equipment is up and running well and have you changed anything since?
    I like the texture of the rocks you purchased and I think I may have a few similar ones (from OTF). I can pass them to you if you want because I have no use for them anymore. You can see the 3 rocks I have in the top-left corner here - please let me know via PM if you are keen.

I do feel the cluster with the highest peak looks like it's deliberately stacked whereas the other clusters have more organic/natural placement. I had initially intended to suggest creating a larger mount for the left cluster (with more rocks), but with too many rocks in a cluster, it will still look unorganic (like a landslide).

Hope you don't mind if I offer a different direction for your consideration. As the rocks you have are rather similar in size and geometric shape, it is a challenge to break the homogeneity and to fill up some of the overhead space.

For a simple change, I would recommend simply remove the left-topmost rock. Not every peak needs to be a pointed tip, and you can use this rock to prop up some of the flatter rocks to give you a larger prescence.

Alternatively, because your captive view is from all 3 sides, would you consider creating a much steeper slope using the left panel as the rear, and using rocks to create levels/terraces that taper lower to the right. The result I hope to convey is the use of slopes/terrain instead of the rocks being the sole focal point.

Something like what you have done previously in your driftwood setup with the focus on the stems. This is very extensive and probably requires alot more soil and may not be aligned to your goal, but I hope it gives food for thought!

Please do consider my offer of the free rocks - I would love to see them put to good use!

Cheers,
    Alvin.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Alvin, thanks for your input. I like your idea about slopes and it never came to my mind at all. But I'm having a few questions. Is it possible to add ADA substrate into the tank full of water without clouding the water, how do I protect my filter inlet as it's on the left hand side without it sucking in too much substrate.

Lastly, that's very generous of you and I thank you in advance. Since you are staying in clementi area. If you don't mind maybe we can meet up at C328 or you can tell me your preferance.

Thanks
    Alex

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Alex, I've sent you a PM regarding the rocks collection.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567