Images
    Country
    Singapore

Trace Element for fauna

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was introduced to it by a lfs. I've used trace element for plants and have so far only seen a bro using trace element for fish. May a bro enlighten me on how good it is? Able to share some reviews on it? I've seen trace elements products from Seachem & Dernelle (think that's how you spell it) so far.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its actually more of vitamins for fish....

Here are some common brands:
    Sera - Fishtamin
    Denerlle - S7
    AquaMedi
    OceanFree

A review by Arowana hobbyists
    http://arowanaclub.com/stories.php?s.../01/02/8280415
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've used the aquamedi vitamin mix for my discus and my apistos, and i do notice a difference in behaviour before and after adding the vitamins. it is said that vitamin B in particular makes the fish calmer and less skittish (according to discus keepers). it probably also helps the fishes' health and as health improves, so does colouration - another improvement i've noticed

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like a good thing. Thought the lfs owner was trying to sell me that idea. Thanks for the feedback guys. Will be popping by to get one soon...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On the topic of trace elements, do any apisto keepers here use these for their apistos? I know Eman uses Denerlle S7. Any other recommended other than this and aquamedi used by Yi Xiang?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The effectiveness of supplements that are added directly into the water is still very much debatable. (Note: this is not referring to supplements added to food)

Some vitamins are water soluble and degrade quickly in water, especially vitamin B and C. Freshwater fish are also not able to extract vitamins from the water.

However, short of knowing what these supplements really contain (although I wouldn't discount them absolutely), it is hard to say if they are really effective as these are merely inferred via observations (unless there are published scientific studies on them).

Some interesting articles and excerpts...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...?article_id=99 (Need to login - register for free - to read)
    Quote Originally Posted by www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk
    ...Some research has shown that over 90% of B vitamins and nearly 70% of vitamin C is lost within a minute as they leach straight out of the food into the water...

...There is a possibility that some vitamins might get into freshwater fish by crossing the membranes of the gills, and the gut when water is ingested during feeding. And maybe a little might enter via osmoregulation. However, the experts we spoke to thought that the the actual amount entering would be very low because of the effect of dilution by the aquarium volume.

Things might be slightly different for marines, since they drink water during osmoregulation. However, it's still thought that the levels entering the fish would be too low to have any benefits...

...We have yet to see any recent and conclusive scientific proof that adding vitamins directly to aquarium water has any significant health benefits for fishes. We think that dietary enrichment is really the only proven and sensible option...
    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/...uppl/2633S.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by jn.nutrition.org
    The vitamins that are leached into the water are not known to be taken up through the skin or gills by freshwater fish species which, in a hypo-osmotic environment, do not drink. Marine species do drink seawater; however, the drinking rate is lower than the tank volume so that only a small fraction is taken up through this route.
    As such, supplements via dietary enrichment (soaking food with the supplements prior to feeding) would be the better option and certainly more effective.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Soaking food with supplements prior to feeding.... what's the duration of the soaking? Won't the pellets turn soggy?

I've yet purchase the Trace Element but I've chanced upon the instruction on dosing. It gives advices on supplements to tank volume. Any idea what it the ratio if I've to soak againt food? Seems more economically to soak the food especially when fresh H2O fauna doesn't absorb via gills nor scale.

I was also told that an overdosage of Trace Element is fatal to the fauna... anyone able to confirm whether have they experience this 'loving too much' issue?

Thanks....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Should be a few minutes, long enough for the food to absorb some vitamins while not too long for the vitamins to degrade. The products should have detailed instructions.

I have used Sera Fishtamin before. If I remember correctly, there are instructions on dosing directly in the water on the package, but the instructions on soaking the food is in the booklet inside.

Yes, too much vitamins can be deterimental to the faunas. However, as long as instructions are being followed, it shouldn't generally be any issues. It is not like you are going to dump the entire contents in one dosage right?