Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aquascaping workshop for MONFORT Sec

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Months back, i was approached by my friend who is a teacher there for the above. After much ding dong, the approval was finally granted this morning with a budget just for the hardware and life stock.

My friend has also requested that daily accessible, affordable stuffs are to be use for the workshop cos the objective is to illustrate to the students that whatever they learn in school can be use in daily life as well.

Hence, I am posting this thread here asking for instructors and maybe sponsors for some of the hardwares.

Workshop program is as follows:
    Construction of fish tank cabinet around an existing wrought iron stand.
    Constructing of a set of high powered LED lights based on the SLOARIS concept.
    Planting of flora utilising volcanoc peat.
    Setting up and the maintenance of a sump filtration system.
    Using chemicals to support plant growth(fert regime).
    Exploration of ideas to design and fabricate tools for the planted tank hobby.

Any other queries please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the workshop will start in october after their end of year exam until december. as the school is starting a CCA on aquascaping, this is going to be a long term commitmernt. I must stressed that it is volunteer work. No salaries or allowances will be paid.

the budget is $2500 for every thing with tank, sump with media, wrought iron stand, fan, substrate, plants, fish, co2 cylinder with solenoid and diy led light set.

tank size is 48" by 18" by 18".
    Last edited by benny; 11th Oct 2007 at 16:25. Reason: Merge posts
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there any reason for choosing LED light set to the other types of commonly available lighting?
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacatuoides View Post
    Is there any reason for choosing LED light set to the other types of commonly available lighting?
    it is something that the school wanted to explore. form what my friend told me, they can get industrial strength LED at a fraction of what is available outside. i thought it over so why not give it a try and if it is really successful, the local planted tank hobbyist community also stands to benefit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pocurement will start next week. any bro/sis here keen to come along?

now the boys are having exams. i will update once their exams ae over. but please note that thie workshop is aim at youth at risk.

Thanks.
    Last edited by benny; 11th Oct 2007 at 16:27. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok mate. Good work. GBY.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    now the boys are having exams. i will update once their exams ae over. but please note that thie workshop is aim at youth at risk.

Thanks.
    Sorry pardon my ignorance. What is 'youth at risk'? My youth at risk? or their youth at risk?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    Sorry pardon my ignorance. What is 'youth at risk'? My youth at risk? or their youth at risk?
    theirs. why?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most importantly, remember to introduce AQ to them. This would help them to keep their hobby going on .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can i attend? haha joking...i am a newbie..jia you..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds interesting, never quite thought of it being a CCA given the cost. Could you PM the teacher in charge's name, might consider it for my school too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    way back when i was in primary school, a group of students were tasked to look after the fish tank outside the staff room...think it got them eca (as it was known back then haha) credit as well.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    what are the youth at risk of?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    Sounds interesting, never quite thought of it being a CCA given the cost. Could you PM the teacher in charge's name, might consider it for my school too.
    the cost is actually very low cos the students will be using peat as substrate and nothing fanciful. The school will only be coming up with initial start up cost(about $2500). the maintenance cost will be generated by the cca itself. what is going to happen is that the CCA, after running and learning the know how will be going round to help others start up planted tank and maintain it for a fee so that the students not only get to learn the art of aquascaping but also learn the ropes of running a business plus other necessary life skills like team work, conflict management etc etc. Hence, this workshop, which i pray, is the start of something much bigger that will eventually catch the attention of MOE.

as i have limited knowledge in the art of aquascaping, I would like to sincerely request for participation from this community but so far i have only got UKLau sponsoring 1 set of his line of fert.. I would really like to have more help but then it is quite hard to sell thihs idea across as a form of community work i guess

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    what are the youth at risk of?
    basically those who don't see the signifiance(?) of studying, latch key kids and those either on the verge or already inside deliquency(?) Pardon my spelling. the whole idea of having them in is so that i can use aquascaping to show them that those things taught in class room is useful like what can potassium and calcium affect the flora and faunas? or how those butt joints that they learn in D&T is useful and how it can be further strengthen to support something as heavy as 500kg?

Imagine the impact that it is going to create on the mind of these young kids?

Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    Most importantly, remember to introduce AQ to them. This would help them to keep their hobby going on .
    thanks for your sponsoring of the ferts

Quote Originally Posted by benkho View Post
    can i attend? haha joking...i am a newbie..jia you..
    you are most welcome to join. i'm also a newbie. can learn together.
    Last edited by benny; 11th Oct 2007 at 16:29. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ranmasatome and Wasabi,

Youth at risk are those who generally are not doing well in school and getting into all sorts of disciplinary problems. More importantly, they are usually the ones that have a high chance of expulsion due to VERY SERIOUS offends committed (Think Bengs/Lians and worse). Fringe students who are not interested in/disinclined/can't be bothered about education.

Programs such as this and others (with social service centers) are being conducted to help such students discover themselves and to gain useful skills. Many of these don't even bother to get into ITE.

David my bro, I am with you in this. Will offer whatever I can cos I have a passion for both youths and fish!!

Agape,
    Jason
    "Live simply, simply live."
    4ft Tank: 4 Altums, 2 Bristle Noses, 2 Panda Garras
    2ft Tank 1: 1 Tetraodon Baileyi
    2ft Tank 2: 1 Monotrete Abei
    2ft Tank 3: 1 Tetraodon Cochinchinensis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jljx View Post
    Hi Ranmasatome and Wasabi,

Youth at risk are those who generally are not doing well in school and getting into all sorts of disciplinary problems. More importantly, they are usually the ones that have a high chance of expulsion due to VERY SERIOUS offends committed (Think Bengs/Lians and worse). Fringe students who are not interested in/disinclined/can't be bothered about education.

Programs such as this and others (with social service centers) are being conducted to help such students discover themselves and to gain useful skills. Many of these don't even bother to get into ITE.

David my bro, I am with you in this. Will offer whatever I can cos I have a passion for both youths and fish!!

Agape,
    Jason
    96814289 me for further discussion.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's nice to know that we have a few kind souls out there helping these youth........

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    David,

It would be good if you can obtain a letter from the principal of the school regarding this project, scan it & post it here.

I believe with this, you would be able to attract more people from the community to help. Do it right, make it big & promote AQ .

Just my 2 cents.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    David,

It would be good if you can obtain a letter from the principal of the school regarding this project, scan it & post it here.

I believe with this, you would be able to attract more people from the community to help. Do it right, make it big & promote AQ .

Just my 2 cents.
    will do Benjamin.

Thanks once again!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast