Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Algae

Feedback Score

Algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all! I'm starting to see some algae growing on the sides of my tank wall.

The algae look like green hairlike stuff. How do I go about removing it? SAE? Shrimps?

Feedback Score

Algae

The algae look like green hairlike stuff. How do I go about removing it? SAE? Shrimps?

Feedback Score

Algae

Feedback Score

Algae

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Introduce otos or you can scrape them off yourself..[] ..SAEs grow too large for smalls tanks...shrimps cannot hang on to the tank walls can they? Unless you are talking about some rare sort of spider shrimp!!!! []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just use a phone card to scrape it off. Otos and other algae eaters can help to a certain extent, I found.

If tank is new, then this is quite common as plants and algae are competing for nutrients. Otherwise it means there is excess light in the tank.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Regarding wall climbing shrimps... oh yes they can, when there is enough algae on the glass. It doesn't have to be a lot, just enough for them to get a claw-hold. But then, the wall is the last place they'll look for food.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have setup my 4' tank 2 weeks ago and I don't see much algae on the side of tanks. I have 30 Yamatos and 8 SAE from the start. As I do not have a algae problem on the walls, is this a clear indication of too-much-lighting as what moderator implied?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Feedback Score
    How do otos look like? And how do I prevent this algae growth in the long term. I'm sure if I scrape it off it'll come back again yah?

And regarding the wall-climbing shrimps, my cherry shrimps can cling on even without algae.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Go look in the AQ Gallery and look for Otocinclus Affinis under Catfish. The LFS should know what an Oto is, if not, tell them 'xiao jing ling'.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Increase bubble rate slightly to help increase the rate of photosythnesis so the plants can compete better for nutrients..but watch out for abnormal signs like CO2 overdose. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ummm... increasing CO2 is only one factor. It'll only work if your tank has enough of the other nutrients and C is the limiting nutrient.

To allow your plants to compete better, you need to make sure that is sufficient light and required nutrients (including C from CO2).

My take is that as long as you're dosing trace elements, you should be ok in that area. The factors to consider are CO2, N-P-K, Fe and lights.

If your tank is still cycling, then don't meddle too much with N, P and Fe yet. Just make sure CO2 and lights are enough and at most dose trace elements and K. Usually I don't bother with liquid fert for the first few weeks of a new tank, but start with a good base fert that is well supplemented.

And like Juggler wrote, its quite normal to have some algae during the first few weeks, as your plants settle in. Less so if the tank is heavily planted or has many nutirent hungry plants.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 9/30/2002 1:47:19 PM
    If your tank is still cycling, then don't meddle too much with N, P and Fe yet. Just make sure CO2 and lights are enough and at most dose trace elements and K. Usually I don't bother with liquid fert for the first few weeks of a new tank, but start with a good base fert that is well supplemented.

And like Juggler wrote, its quite normal to have some algae during the first few weeks, as your plants settle in. Less so if the tank is heavily planted or has many nutirent hungry plants.
    ----------------
    My tank has been cycling for 1 week, how long more should I cycle it? It's a 2 ft tank with riccia(90%) and java moss(10%) with 72W of PL light(6500K) and 2 bubbles/second.

Also, I have no base fertilizer cos there's no need for it.

So what should I add to dose?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 9/30/2002 1:47:19 PM

My take is that as long as you're dosing trace elements, you should be ok in that area. The factors to consider are CO2, N-P-K, Fe and lights.
    ----------------
    Forgot to mention that i'm not dosing any trace elements. When u say dosing trace elements u mean adding the individual N-P-K chemicals issit?