Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 level test method survey

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Like to know how you guys determine the amount of CO2 level in your planted tanks.

With Singapore's water pH ranging from 7-9 and with KH of 0-2..does the pH/KH/CO2 relationship still hold? My tap water pH is 7.8 and KH 0..does that mean the relationship does not hold anymore? How come water getting harder yet no buffer present?

Kinda wanted to know cause CO2 is one of the most important factors in planted tanks...too low CO2 and plants don't grow...too much and pH too low for fishes.

Please kindly participate.. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Like to know how you guys determine the amount of CO2 level in your planted tanks.

With Singapore's water pH ranging from 7-9 and with KH of 0-2..does the pH/KH/CO2 relationship still hold? My tap water pH is 7.8 and KH 0..does that mean the relationship does not hold anymore? How come water getting harder yet no buffer present?

Kinda wanted to know cause CO2 is one of the most important factors in planted tanks...too low CO2 and plants don't grow...too much and pH too low for fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just threw the charts out of the window... firstly, due to the pH of our tap water, second the temperatures of my tanks hit about 32 degrees in the day. The charts are supposedly based on lower temps.

I'm going with 'agaration' through observing plant O2 production, growth and fish respiration.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anymore feedbacks!! Guys and girls..come on..lets hear some more..[]

Feedback Score
    i try and gauge by the bubbles my plants produce,fish respiration and a sera co2 indicator...but dun take my word for it...i'm really new to this hobby..
    thid method was used in my prev planted tank...decided to do an overhaul...seem to be a fairly ok gauge...but as i said...i'm really new to this so....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    me? Tikam. See the fish breathing hard then the CO2 too much lah. Too little then the plant shows signs of unhealthy plant
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The KH/pH/CO2 relationship always holds (at a certain temperature, the KH & pH values will always equates to a certain CO2 concentration). This is a chemical properties which cannot be changed. The deviation lies in the measurement, particularly KH.

The KH test is a simple titration test. If there is buffering present, it is gonna take more acid (in the test solution) to bring the mixture down the the end point (the indicator change colour). Usually the measured KH will read higher than what is actually in the water if there is other buffer present.

If KH is zero, and pH is higher (in the case of the tap water). It could means that there are alkali (OH-) in the water, not neccessary have to be CO3--(KH). When you start injecting CO2, the carbonic acid formed will react with(and remove) the OH- and the relationship will again follow the KH/pH/CO2 relationship.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As for the charts, generally they are good enough for me as a guide. I don't think I need to be that precise to work out the exact CO2 concentration.

I can always dig out all the chemical stuff to work out the exact CO2 concentration. But the KH/pH or the CO2 indicator is good enough for me.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz and others care to comment on what Bclee has said? Deviation in both the pH and KH readings can really cause false level of CO2 detected...pH test kits are mostly not that precise nor is the KH test kit..which is mostly inaccurate CO2 level..unless you are doing it in a lab..with closely controlled factors.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With my Ph at 7 and KH at 4 , i turn the BPS to 2-3 for my 6ft although it seems little but i on 2 hrs before my MH is switch on and 1hr before the lights go out.
    Cheers!

Benetay