Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driftwood

Feedback Score

Driftwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all! I've a piece of fantastic looking driftwood and have actually soaked it in boiling water for a few days but it still turns the water yellow and did not dare to put it into my tank.

I would like to know how do I go about processing it before I can use it for my planted tank such that it won't change the water parameters when i add it in.

Also, what sorta plants are suitable to be attached to driftwood?

Feedback Score

Driftwood

Hi all! I've a piece of fantastic looking driftwood and have actually soaked it in boiling water for a few days but it still turns the water yellow and did not dare to put it into my tank.

I would like to know how do I go about processing it before I can use it for my planted tank such that it won't change the water parameters when i add it in.

Feedback Score

Driftwood

Feedback Score

Driftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/1/2002 10:48:20 AM

----------------
    ok its actually fine to have the wood in your tank... as you do your water changes the yellow water will eventually go away... its actually pretty nice to have the yellow cuz its like black water, some people like it...
    you can tie plants like riccia, hairgrass(use netting), java moss, christmas moss(needs low temp), then the java ferns, and amano uses Bolbitis heudelotii but its pretty expensive here... correct me if i'm wrong []
    thats pretty much all i know...
    lets see what the others say...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can soak in a pail and aerate to quiken the process... or u can boil the wood...

Bolbitis shld be located at areas with good circulation flow (eg. near to yr outlet pipe) u can tie anubias on driftwood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Steven,

I also have the same problem. Just got a piece of driftwood and it turns the water black (well almost)!! Am now boiling it to see if it works also. I was told that perhaps we can add some carbon to reduce the water yellowing effect. Where did you get your driftwood from? Do they have mopani wood there?

Cheers!
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/1/2002 12:11:04 PM

Hey Steven,

I also have the same problem. Just got a piece of driftwood and it turns the water black (well almost)!! Am now boiling it to see if it works also. I was told that perhaps we can add some carbon to reduce the water yellowing effect. Where did you get your driftwood from? Do they have mopani wood there?

Cheers!
    ----------------

I got my driftwood from Gen X sometime back. I'm not sure if they have mopani wood though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have an idea on how to overcome this problem. Very simply, you just have to varnish the driftwood totally. Coat it with a thin layer of laquer or varnish to prevent the log from making the water yellow...... It might be a bogwood which will make the water tannin-stained....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wouldn't it be toxic to the fishes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Coat it with a thin layer of laquer or varnish to prevent the log from making the water yellow......
    If you coat the wood wif laquer then if i'm planning to put moss on it , do u think the moss is going to stick on the smooth surface?

i suggest boiling of the driftwood, if you don't mind the colour for a while do more water change to remove as much tannin from the tank as possible, after a long while(patience) the wood will leech lesser and lesser tannin into the water colume.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I think it might be bogwood you are having. It's quite good for fishes which like blackwater condition. However, if you don't like the color, you can try boiling or putting it into a big heat resistance container and pour boiling water inside and soak for a while.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yesterday, I boiled my driftwood for half a day. By the time I was done, the water in the pot was like thick black coffee. Totally opaque. Then I took out the wood, wash it and put it in a pail of clean water. Fiften minutes later, the water is browish yellow again. Sigh.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/2/2002 10:26:35 AM

Yesterday, I boiled my driftwood for half a day. By the time I was done, the water in the pot was like thick black coffee. Totally opaque. Then I took out the wood, wash it and put it in a pail of clean water. Fiften minutes later, the water is browish yellow again. Sigh.....
    ----------------
    So siong ah? Last time I soaked mine for more than a month in a pail before using. Next time I buy driftwood, I will go to Teo Farm. Their driftwood are soaked in water under the sun. Probably better.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/2/2002 10:26:35 AM

----------------
    Wow! how do u boil the driftwood in the pot? My driftwood is too big to put into a pot leh....

Feedback Score
    Guys,

Are moss the best plants to attach to driftwood?

And how do I go about tying moss to driftwood?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When you boil the driftwood, you got to change the water a few times. If the water has turned dark, throw away the water and replace and continue boiling. Should work after 3~4 times.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [/quote]

Wow! how do u boil the driftwood in the pot? My driftwood is too big to put into a pot leh....
    ----------------
    [/quote]

My drifwood very small one. About 20 cm by 20 cm. Using the pot for cooking soup to boil the wood. It smells like some foul smelling herbal soup. Yucks.

On the subject of Teo's plant farm selling driftwood, does anyone knows if they sell Mopani wood from Africa? I really like this type of wood. Got character.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/2/2002 12:44:37 PM

Guys,

----------------
    Many plants can be tied to driftwood. Moss, Riccia, Anubias, Java Fern, Elatine Triandra. If you go to Rainbow, you'll see many other plants that they tie to driftwood.

Moss you can use netting or just cotton thread or fine nylon fishing line.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/2/2002 1:51:57 PM

----------------
    On 10/2/2002 12:44:37 PM

Guys,

----------------
    Many plants can be tied to driftwood. Moss, Riccia, Anubias, Java Fern, Elatine Triandra. If you go to Rainbow, you'll see many other plants that they tie to driftwood.

Moss you can use netting or just cotton thread or fine nylon fishing line.
    ----------------
    but how can u use netting for moss? Will the moss grow through the netting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast