Country
    Singapore

Guppies breeding questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all out there,

If I would like to breed a specific strain of guppies (eg, double-sword or blue tuxedo), is it the male or the female guppy which I need?

If I put a double-sword male and a normal female, will I get double-sword guppy fries?

I went to FarmMart the other day and saw that the female guppies for those unique strain cost at least 5x more than the male guppies.

For one particular strain, the male cost $15 while the female cost $90!
    [:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all out there,

If I would like to breed a specific strain of guppies (eg, double-sword or blue tuxedo), is it the male or the female guppy which I need?

If I put a double-sword male and a normal female, will I get double-sword guppy fries?

I went to FarmMart the other day and saw that the female guppies for those unique strain cost at least 5x more than the male guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all out there,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all out there,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you cross a double-sword guppy to a normal fin guppy, you would not get double swords in the next generation(F1). In F2, there is a 25% chance of getting double swords...

In actual fact, you need both sexes of the same strain to make sure the fries are of the same strain. But there are exceptions...

For example, you can get red tuxedos in a brood of fries with pure gray blue tuxedo parents. And if you cross a red tuxedo to a blue tuxedo, you will get both red tuxedos and blue tuxedos. Red tuxedo cross red tuxedo will result in red tuxedos...

Perhaps you can tell me what strain you intend to breed...

Regarding the prices of females to males, this is the norm in exotic guppies. Certain strains need the original females to get offspring of the same strain or else time will be wasted to get back the strain after much breeding effort.
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris,

Remember the 4 double-sword females you gave me? 2 had died due to dropsy and 2 had did a sucidal jump out of my tank for no particular reason. []

However, I had succeeded in getting a few doublesword guppies since. But since I have no more doublesword females now, I was wondering if I would want to breed more double-swords, can I use my existing double-sword male with another normal female guppy.

I think if I use the off-spring of the same batch of breed, everything may be messed up. Coz I have some fries that grow up that looks like those wild guppies in the drains. Very messy colours and patterns. Anyway, due to too many guppies and not enuf tanks to keep them, I have mixed them in a tank and I have no idea how to differentiate them .

Somemore, when I visited the fish shop in Farmmart recently, I was really very tempted to get some of the guppies there but they were too expensive.

Do you have spare ones to give up? Since I have some experience in breeding them, I would like to have some nice guppies in my tank and remove away all the messed up strains of guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris

You have PM.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Perhaps you can tell me what strain you intend to breed...
    ----------------
    I was actually quite interested in keeping the more unique ones. I saw some with white tails and they looked really unique as compared to the normal guppies.

I saw some of them having very nice faint luminous blue colours in their bodies and tails but dunno their names or strains.

Anyway websites that have a gallery of beautiful guppies? I would like to complile some into a picture file and print it out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You would not get any d-swords if you cross your male to a normal-finned female. You probably will get fishes with finnage similar to the female.

The guppies at Koi Universe( Farmart) are the type of guppies that had undergone countless breeding and improvement. Thus are very, very beautiful. There are exotic
    guppies too. The price is what most people are unwilling to pay for guppies... many cannot afford it too, including me.[]

Sorry, I do not have spare guppies to clear.

The white-finned guppies you are referring to are probably German yellow tuxedo or hb pastel.
    What I can tell you is that... if you like the strain, just buy it. As long as you like it, it is worth every cent. Of course, consider your budget too... I forgot about my budget once and had to 'eat grass' for a week...

About the web-sites, maybe you can take a look at Mr Luke Roebuck's site. A search on Fancy guppies will bring you to lotsa sites with beautiful guppies. Take a look into Japanese guppy sites too.
    []
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore