Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Suitable tankmates for Apistogramma spp.

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Can I keep hatchet fish with Apistos? What other fishes are ideal to keep with Apisto pair other then pencils?

Another thing...how do you guys remove fishes like cardinals in your planted tanks? They are so fast and hides whenever the net goes in... Try to net until I give up
    Last edited by benny; 21st Feb 2006 at 22:51. Reason: Split out for separate discussion

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Should not be a problem as hatchet are top dweller as long the fries n parents does not wander off to harass them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro,

Try to turn off your lights, wait for a few minutes and turn it back on. And start fishing them out ASAP!!

Because when you do that, you catch them by surprise.
    Last edited by benny; 11th Oct 2007 at 11:56. Reason: spelling/formatting

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will plecos be compaitable with apistogramma or other dwarf cichlids also?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can I keep hatchet fish with Apistos? What other fishes are ideal to keep with Apisto pair other then pencils?
    hatchetfish should be fine if you have a cover for your tank or your tank is deep enough. i was advised 1.5ft depth about a week and a half ago by a very knowledgeable forummer.

boraras spp. are good as well...too small to be much of a threat and fast enough to avoid harassment by the apistos.

Will plecos be compaitable with apistogramma or other dwarf cichlids also?
    depends on what kind of pleco you're talking about. bristlenose plecos (ancistrus spp.) are good as they don't grow too large and are not aggressive. however, they do enjoy chilling in caves so they might take over the breeding caves you set up for your fish. i had that experience once with an albino bristlenose and in the end i had to remove him from the tank so that my apistos could breed in peace

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do all plecos like to chill in caves or just certain species?

I am still at the planning stage... Hoping to get nice plecos like a L46, L33 de
    Last edited by benny; 11th Oct 2007 at 11:57. Reason: merge posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will like to ask if it is possible to create an enviroment so that apisto and ram can be put together in the same 3-feet tank
    ᶆἇvԑṙịɔѳ

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    Hi guys,

Another thing...how do you guys remove fishes like cardinals in your planted tanks? They are so fast and hides whenever the net goes in... Try to net until I give up

Try using 2 nets to catch them rather then one. One net to scare them the other net to corden them.

You try to get the tetras out from the tank in your living room???

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    hatchetfish should be fine if you have a cover for your tank or your tank is deep enough. i was advised 1.5ft depth about a week and a half ago by a very knowledgeable forummer.

boraras spp. are good as well...too small to be much of a threat and fast enough to avoid harassment by the apistos.
    Eh...if you see my thread date, its Feb2006, the month and year where i started my apisto hobby...thread was brought up by mavarick. Thanks for the reply though. I caught the fishes out more then a year ago. hehehe
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha what i did when i fished out my zebra danios was really crazy. tried luring them with food and it succeeded just for a while. after that, they became smart and refused to cooperate. took every single plant and wood out from my tank and used 2 nets to settle them once and for all from both sides. much much more effort but saves a lot a lot of time.

mavarick, all plecos love to hide. AQ's sub forum on catfishes has a lot of info about them. some nibble on plants, some are well known to inflict wounds on unarmoured tankmates. also, with plecos your tank's bioload will go high. LDA33 is a good choice but do watch your water quality.
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    Eh...if you see my thread date, its Feb2006, the month and year where i started my apisto hobby...thread was brought up by mavarick. Thanks for the reply though. I caught the fishes out more then a year ago. hehehe
    haha ok...didn't notice the date.

i was also wondering...eugene should know this information already! but didn't think to check the date