Singapore

How to Sex L046 Zebra Plecos?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

L046 Hypancistrus zebra - Juvenile specimen

I know a lot of folks are still interested in Hypancistrus zebra or more commonly known as the Zebra Pleco. It's popularity (or should I say rarity) shot through the roof when restrictions were imposed on it's export, much like the famed Betta macrostoma.

Most of us do not have a problem identifying a male. The key is, do we have a female amongst the bunch? Females and subdominant males are very similar and as such, the cause of major confusion. Whilst there is no one sure tell tale sign of sexing these fishes, a combination of characteristics will improve your chances of making an educated guess. Here is a quick guide to sexing matured species or sub adult (6-7 cm) for those considering this species. Anything smaller will be a tough challenge to sex accurately.

In general, there are 3 main areas where one can visually sex these beauties.

01. Body Shape
    Females are suppose to have more curved pectoral fins. But this is something rather difficult to eyeball, especially when there are no other references. Instead, it will be easier to view the specimen from above and see if the said specimen has a wider, fuller abdomen. Males are normally more streamline, with the patterns forming a 'V' shape. Females are slighty paunchy, with the patterns forum a 'U' shape. Well fed males can confuse hobbyists who is trying to sex them. Males usually build up their reserves during spawning season. As such, other characteristics need to be taken into consideration.

Male L046 Hypancistrus zebra

Female L046 Hypancistrus zebra

02. Odontodes growth
    Females do have fewer odontodes (spines) on the pectoral fins. Males will have more odontodes on the pectoral fins as well as odontodes coming out of the cheek, almost reaching the pectoral fins. Here are a few pictures of Zebra Plecos with odontodes growth at the cheek. Take note of the pectoral fins as well.

Male L046 Hypancistrus zebra

Female L046 Hypancistrus zebra

03. Head shape
    Males also have a tendency to have a broader head, although this will be quite a challenge to ascertain. However, the top view picture of the male above obviously have a broader head than the female. The interopercular odontodes on the female are not as well developed as that of the male, as such, females can also look "pinched" just where the gills are.

Here's is a picture of a bunch of them for comparison.

From left to right: Female, Male, Male, Female, Male

Besides the above three characteristics, some have also indicated that males are suppose to be darker than females. But in a shop where the fishes are stressed, this will not be a very accurate indicator. In the case where you have a chance to see the fishes when they have settled down, their teritorrial behaviour can also yield some clues. Younger males would normally camp out at their "cave dwelling" once they've marked out. Very often, they will be reluctant to leave it even for a short period of time. However, females exhibit a different characteristic - they do not take possession of caves, but instead hang out under rocks or other aquarium decorations. They will also change their hiding spot more readily.

Here are some more interesting links on the subject.

http://www.discoveraquatics.co.uk/zebra/sexing.htm

http://www.zebrapleco.com/article2.php

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesw...article_id=273

Hope this is useful for those looking for a breeding pair.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very informative. I am always captivated by this species but have no courage to try them

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Superb information benny! This has got to be a sticky!

Hands are really itching now...

After your explanation, its easy to see now in the last picture that the 4th specimen from the left is a female while the rest should be males. Regarding point 3 about the head. I wonder if looking at the distance of the eyes could be an indication as well since narrower head will result in eyes closer to each other.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stuck as requested.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow. Good Information!

Gene and PLee, time to go get them
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lol Wacky...

Must form gang la... get them together

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Since there is recent increased interest here is additional information on sexing them.

MINIMUM SEXING SIZE is 6 to 7 cm.

At 6 cm sexing seems to be about 50% as the distinctive physiology is still in development.
    At 7 cm size your percentage for sexing them increases tremendously.
    For any "certainty" the fish need to be mature specimens.
    That means a Minimum length of about 3" or 7.5 cm.

However, there are individuals that may develop distinctive sexual dimorphism earlier.
    Then there are some which show hints of both sexes.
    For the latter, only a spawning can clarify the sex with certainty.
    Fish behaviour, as mentioned in benny's first post, can also be used in conjunction with the above information to increase your probablity of sexing.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to Sex L046 Zebra Plecos?

If all are females zebra pleco, will they still fight among themselves? Or only males will fight?
    I am trying to get hold of some females for my breeding project as now there are quite a number to choose from the lfs, any kind soul would like to help me in choosing some female from the current batches in C328?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Female also fight All zebras will fight to secure a hiding place they call their home .
    Female zebra will not be that easy to get . Good chance they will be taken when they hit the shop .
    L46 . L173 . L66 . L333 . L399 . L174 . L144 . Lower
    Xingu .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

I was lucky enough to get 7 L046 young wild fish out 3 yrs ago before the ban. I also got 2 L270s that turned out to be a pair and they are now breeding every 6-7 weeks or so. {: I am a very happy camper. {:
    I once thought I was brave. Now I can't stop crying.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

hi. im looking for a male and female pair of zebra plecs for the UK.
    there's about 3 breeders that ive found in the UK and most of the aquarium shops in the south of the country all get theres from thialand, leaveing a huge gap in the market for them.

can anyone help me out as to where i could possibly get a pair?

thanks
    marshall