Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Why plants give out bubble more after water change?

Feedback Score

Why plants give out bubble more after water change?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hope this question does not sound dumb. Anyway, why does the plant give out more bubbles than any other time when the water is change?

Feedback Score

Hope this question does not sound dumb. Anyway, why does the plant give out more bubbles than any other time when the water is change?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you add baking soda during water change? Maybe you have plants that take bi-carbonate directly as carbon fertilisation for photosythnesis...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    No I did not add anything. I re-decoratd the company tank 2 days ago. Change almost 70% of the water, let it settle down for 1 day! AND THEN......BUBBLES like crazy from the plants!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Anyway, why does the plant give out more bubbles than any other time when the water is change?
    ----------------
    Err .. does that happened for all instances of water changes?

My guess is that maybe it happened that there are more dissolved CO2 and other minerals in the water and the KH level had been ideal for plants to bubble. Somemore, maybe if your lights/gallen is sufficient and CO2 fertilization is adequate, plants bubble?

Another possibility is that you may have planted in new plants which are healthy and are able to flourish under your tank's condition.

Dunno .. the above are just my guess.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you fertilise your water with trace element or liquid fert?....one of the reason could be that with every water change you do, there is always a small amount of trace element which may be lacking or absorded after awhile.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    My tank also same as yours, whenever I change water, it will bubble like mad. Now I change once a week to witness more bubbles....personal favourite la....

Feedback Score
    One thing is that i have just change to a 4 x 36w PL light from Nature. With that we decided to change the Whole landscape and of course the water. One of my friend also has a planted tank and wonders how come the bubbles are more intense with every water change, after that the bubbles are not so much, ubtil the next change of water. I do also put in Liquid fert(JBL).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One of my friend also has a planted tank and wonders how come the bubbles are more intense with every water change, after that the bubbles are not so much, ubtil the next change of water.
    ----------------
    Just guessing but I think that whenever you change water, what you are also doing is removing the layer of oil/scum that is on the surface of the water.
    When this layer of oil/scum is removed, the lights penetrate the water better, therefore your plants start to bubble more.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember reading about something like this in APD or TheKrib. You'll have to search for yourself though.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey
    i got a wacko theory
    maybe high levels of waste are inhibiting uptake of nutrients by plants
    [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Greece
    ----------------
    On 10/4/2002 5:55:20 PM

----------------
    The reason plants bubble more after a water change is simple.
    Dissolved air (the water in the pipes holds more air cause of the pressure in the pipes) enters throu the mains water, the aquarium water becomes oversaturated with gas and CO2 coming out of the plant stomata can't dissolve asmuch anymore and comes in the form of more bubbles.

Similar references see also
    http://boards.aaquaria.com/topic.cgi...amp;topic=1000

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That should be O2 not CO2.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Actually the reason is simple. When you suck out water, the water level lowers and more light can penetrate to the bottom of the tank, causing more photosynthesis.

This in turn, makes the water very oxygenated and thus more bubbling.

so probably,you can get the same effect with MH or more tubes

Feedback Score
    Water coming out from the taps have an abundance of CO2....as well as many trace elements. More often than not, the fertilisers we add daily do not provide all the necessary elements(macro/micro). This is just one of the reasons Amano encourages water changes... No off the shelf fertiliser can cater for all the different water conditions around the world.

my two cents

Feedback Score
    When I remove the water, I also topup the water to the same height or more. Therefore, penetration of light to the the bottom is not the answer, i think. As for the oil or scums on top of the surface, I have a Surface skimmer that is on all the time.

Anyway, as long as it has that sort of effect. Thats good enough!! Thanks anyway for all your very enlightening answers.