Images
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping Japanese Hairgrass in the substrate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anybody have trouble planting Japanese hairgrass into their ADA Ammozian? Mine kept floating onto the surface Really frustrating having to replant them again and again. Whereas when I last planted them in lapis soil, there was so much of an issue....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no problems here. I just planted mine in GEX soil last week (similar in grain size to ADA Amazonia). As the soil is light, you just have to be more careful when planting it in.

When i do is to grip a few stalks in my tweezers, insert it deep into the substrate, then slowly open the tweezers bit by bit and ensure than soil bits fall into place in the hole created by the tweezers that will hold the grass in place before pulling out my tweezers. if that's carefully done, the grass will be weighted down by the soil granules falling into the holes and won't float up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    insert it deep into the substrate, then slowly open the tweezers bit by bit and ensure than soil bits fall into place in the hole created by the tweezers that will hold the grass in place before pulling out my tweezers.
    After doing this, I'll pull up the hairgrass a little to straighten the root. Read somewhere that this is good for the plant to grow well.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Been battling this floatation issue since we last met Ben. I was adviced by an uncle from the Teo's to buried the plants not more than 2cm into the soil so as it may spread....

I've also tried planting them deeper but noticed that it may be too deep. The leaves turned yellow then die off... (I'm using T5)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there any fish in your tank? Never have that problem before. I plant them when the water still at low/substrate level, easier that way
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh ya, I've forgotten to mention what Shadow has just pointed out. I planted mine with the water only enough to cover the substrate .

I don't think we can have any corydoras or shrimps in there for the first few weeks.

All the best, Joey .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Ben. Mine's an old tank. Just wanna add some green to the front... Have got tetras in there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another technique you might want to consider is planting them at a slight angle and using a narrow and pointed pincette, grab only the roots and push it into the Aquasoil.

This is to ensure that the plant is not injured and also, when inserted at an angle, the upward force of the water acting on the plant is not inline with the plant structure. Hmmm, not sure if you can imagine it.

Don't worry that the plant will grow slanted. It iwll grow upwards towards the light in the end and when it has carpeted, no one will know what is happening at the bottom.

If possible, get the powder version of the soil will be useful as well. Else, is okay.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have no issue with planting japanese hairgrass in ADA aquasoil. I even trimmed the roots short to facilitate the insert of the hairgrass as well.

Just try to avoid heavy water circulation, as well as substrate foraging critters like yamato shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like lots of success stories... Shall not give up on Jap hairgrass. Will trying re planting them at an angle. Thanks for the advises bros