Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lighting in Amano Aquaria

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    apologise in advance if this has been brought up before...

i came across this interesting article something back about lighting used by Amano in his tanks.

http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html
    (how to do URL links har????)

the results of the writer's findings show that the lighting intensity per gallon/litre for smaller tanks is much much higher than that of bigger tanks...

i have a 23 litre tank and from his calculation, i should be using about 52W for this 1.25ft tank!!!

so far i only have one 15W compact PL (if that's what it is called) blub shining in the middle of the tank and it is observed that only the centre plants (riccia) are bubbling heavily...

i would like to know if anyone has tried such high lighting intensity on small tanks like mine... if the results are good or if there are other side effects say on the fishes?

any other comments would be most appreciated...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i came across this interesting article something back about lighting used by Amano in his tanks.

the results of the writer's findings show that the lighting intensity per gallon/litre for smaller tanks is much much higher than that of bigger tanks...

i have a 23 litre tank and from his calculation, i should be using about 52W for this 1.25ft tank!!!

so far i only have one 15W compact PL (if that's what it is called) blub shining in the middle of the tank and it is observed that only the centre plants (riccia) are bubbling heavily...

i would like to know if anyone has tried such high lighting intensity on small tanks like mine... if the results are good or if there are other side effects say on the fishes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank is not as small as yours but using 4x36w for my 2ftx2ftx1.5ft, that is equals to 144watts, and slightly higher then 3w/g.

Amano uses lots of stem plant and riccia, therefore the need for high light cannot be omited.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for your comments benetay...
    that is alot of light you have there...

when you calculate your tank gal, do you actually take away the subtrate volume? the difference can be quite abit if the tank is big yeah?

what wattage do you suggest for my tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is actually a balance of lighting and CO2 and nutrients in order for your plants to grow well. If you want to increase the intensity of your lights..you will need to increase the amount of CO2 as too much light and shortage of CO2 can do more harm to your plants than good.

For calculating your wattage/gallon..some people minus away the substrate for obtaining the volume...for me..I just take the whole tank. Its actually all up to yourself as many people have their own opinions. (Tip..use an external reactor for better CO2 diffusion..no parts of the tank is in shortage from my experience after changing from diffuser to that.)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lol
    i remember seeing this article a long time ago
    i came to the conclusion that amano is a nut j/k
    don't try to follow him unless you've been around the block a few times, like he has
    8 wpg is no joke