Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: growing seeds from a bulb's flowers?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

growing seeds from a bulb's flowers?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've never heard of people doing this, but since I have 4+ flower heads producing seeds from my aquarium bulbs, I just can't let them go to waste.
    I want to try to grow the seeds from the flowers when they are done growing. I don't know how to do this though and was wondering if anyone here had any comments on this. I'm assuming that they have to be in a bog-like environment, sortof like what you'd find along side a stream or something. anyway, I'll throw this up in the air- CATCH!

umm... I don't know what kind of bulbs they are, but I think I can look it up if need be.
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    umm... nothing?

I looked up the plants... they are of the Aponogeton family/phylum thingy. Couldn't find anything more specific. Their flowers are above the water line, and split into two different uncurling fern-looking things. They are light green changing to white near the ends. each fern thingy (sorry! I don't know what to call it!) has little humps with tiny stamens of yellow pollen. The seeds are being produced from the hump things... and the seed pods are green and are shaped kind of like a stretched-out pointed hat. I'm sorry... that's all I know.
    My fish love to eat the pollen when it hits the water though... I found that quite amusing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ok, took some time to take some not-so-good pictures with my mom's ancient camera. So... Here they are...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    the first is a young flower that touched the water surface about five days ago. The second is an older flower, about a week and a half. The third- I have no idea how old. Probably close to 3 weeks now... Anyway, the pokey things you see are the seeds forming. The plants are bulbs, and I would like some more, but don't know how to propagate them. If you could give me some pointers on how to grow the seeds, or even how to propagate the plants another way, I would greatly appreciate it! thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ah. well no need to reply anymore- the "seeds" just dropped off which they were still green. I found them all on the bottom of the tank - sending out leaves!
    So yeah. Pretty easy to grow them. I'm glad, cause I really like the background look and would like some more to fill up the patches. I put them in a small glass container with gravel on the bottom of the tank so that none of the fish would move them around. I found six of them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Here's an update- they are still growing. Their tiny bulbs are getting bigger, but they are still green- they haven't changed to a brown color yet. Two other plants have sent out flowers and they are producing new plants as well. I had found another one that I had missed before. It was in a shaded area of the tank, so it was smaller, but I haven't moved it yet. It is getting filtered light, and seems to have ajusted to it.