Thread: High KH

Feedback Score

High KH

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi....
    My tank is only a week old, but my background plant(dun know e name) leaves turb yellow. But the raccia on the floor is growing well, bubbling alot.....My KH is 12, i felt it was way too high.....Any suggestion ? Btw, i'm using DIY co2. Thanks !

Feedback Score

High KH

Hi....
    My tank is only a week old, but my background plant(dun know e name) leaves turb yellow. But the raccia on the floor is growing well, bubbling alot.....My KH is 12, i felt it was way too high.....Any suggestion ? Btw, i'm using DIY co2. Thanks !

Feedback Score

High KH

Hi....

Feedback Score

High KH

Hi....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kh at 12 is very high. your pH will be very alkaline if your kh is that high. esp if your CO2 is DIY and does not produce CO2 constantly. but b4 u do anything, test if your test kit is working well. test it with tap water. reading should be below 4. if your test kit is working well, then i would suggest that u lower the kh to around 4-5 bcos plants do better in acidic conditions. do a few water changes to lower the kh to the required level.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if the kH is naturally at 12, then no matter how many water changes you do it'll gradually increase
    find the source of the kH
    and i find kH doesn't really matter because even soft water plants do well in semi hardwater

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe its wiser to reduce the KH to a more comfortable level like 4-6 as I read in books that if water is too alkaline..with pH at 7.5 or above even with CO2 injection, the absorbtion of nutrients is very hard as the nutrients are insoluble in alkaline water.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How did the kH got so high? Did you increase it using baking soda or "kH up" solutions?
    If not the above, the high kH could be due to having coral chips or similar compounds in your substrate.
    CO2 injection causes water to be acidic, this in turns causes the coral chips to dissolve more and thus raising the pH and kH as well.

But it is not a big problem for plants having high kH. Maybe frequent water changes will help keep it lower. Probably only the fish don't like higher pH levels.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Hi....
    Could it be the baking soda i put inside my diy c02 solution tat escape into the tank ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/6/2002 4:39:06 PM

the absorbtion of nutrients is very hard as the nutrients are insoluble in alkaline water

----------------
    hi
    where did you get this info from?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/6/2002 6:52:27 PM

Hi....
    Could it be the baking soda i put inside my diy c02 solution tat escape into the tank ?
    ----------------
    Unlikely that the baking soda escaped. Even if so, one teaspoon of baking soda raises 50L by 4 dkH.
    You have any piece of decorative stone in there that may be corals?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    To Juggler:
    Hi.....
    I dun have any stone in my tank.......Only 8 pieces of wire gauze bought fr NA to tie raccia.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about your filter media? Anything there that could raise the kH?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks