Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Otocinclus looks like dying...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got 4 guppies and 2 otocinclus in petsmart 4 days ago. Otocinclus was only $1.60 each. They had 4 of them but, when I saw them in fish tank they weren't that active... (not sure if this fish is active a lot...). I asked one of the worker if they are like that or not. They really didn't know the answer to that fish... I don't think they taking care of fish that well... Any ways, I put them in the tank and 4 days later one of otocinclus seems to be moving backward... Other one seems to be fine. I thought it was my water so, I test my water ph was 7.4-7.5. Ammonia test came out with about .5 or 0. (Looks like almost yellow color.) Nitrate was about 1-2. Nitrate seems to be little high so I did drop 2 of reducing nitrae liquid. My tank tempture seems to be 70-72 around there. Night time maybe when it's chilly it's around 67-70. I had this tank setup about 1month and 1 guppy and 3 alage eaters were there about 3weeks. They had no problem so far. Any how, my first time having otocinclus and are they suppose to be active or just slow? Any help would be thankful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    When selecting specimens of Otocinclus, always avoid one that has sunken stomach and preferably choose one that is actively grazing on something.

In the aquarium, they will have their active and inactive (resting) moments. That is normal. However, in an LFS, as you will not have enough time to observe for long, you will not be able to tell if the inactiveness is due to an unhealthy specimen or just during their resting periods.

What do you actually mean by moving backwards? If it is meant literally, then that is normal. They will graze on any surface moving forward and backwards actively.

Or do you mean that it is swimming upside down instead? You will need to elaborate more on this.

Quote Originally Posted by go9ma123 View Post
    Ammonia test came out with about .5 or 0. (Looks like almost yellow color.) Nitrate was about 1-2. Nitrate seems to be little high so I did drop 2 of reducing nitrae liquid.
    Is that nitrite or nitrate? In the nitrogen cycle, ammonia is converted to nitrite, which is then converted to nitrate. Ammonia/nitrite is lethal to fauna at low levels, while nitrate doesn't pose an issue at moderate levels, unless it gets very high.

So I don't think that is an issue. Neither is your pH, nor temperature.

The major problems most people encounter with Otocinclus is that they can be rather fragile, and die within days of introducing to the tank. I think a lot of it has to do with acclimitisation issues. If acclimitised properly, they will live very much longer.

Some of my Otocinclus have been with me for approximately two years, using this acclimitising method, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=14740. So it could also depend on how you acclimitise them to your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Backward as mean like when fish about to die...
    By the way it's nitrate.
    When I got home, I put them in the little container. I used plastic soon and add 2 spoon of the water every 5mins. I did slide down on the side. I did that total of 5times. After that I waitted 20 more mins before I put the fish. Any ways, I just think I got a bad otocinclus...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Well, I'll take it that it isn't swimming properly then. From the way you described it at the LFS, it sounds highly plausible that you may have gotten an unhealthy individual.

I don't know if it can be treated, but if you could describe any other symptoms, then other members could help with recommendations of medication.

Otherwise, as a last resort, you can isolate it and try using "all-purpose" medications like Melafix/Pimafix for treatment (include additional aeration).

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It didn't last long. It died 2days ago. Other oto seems be doing fine and other fish didn't have problem so far. It's probably I got the unhealthy fish.