Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Black & White series at the Singapore Botanical Gardens

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    883
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Black & White series at the Singapore Botanical Gardens

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    1,380
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    42
    Country
    Malaysia
    Nice shot. What is SBG?
    - Luenny

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    883
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Singapore Botanical Gardens...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    3,747
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    199
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm.. The details of the roof seems abit lost in the pictures. Too dark?
    Gloomy day ar?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    1,380
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    42
    Country
    Malaysia
    Actually, I don't think so. I think it's the conversion to black and white that made the roof a bit dark in the process. Why do I say that? I'm guessing of course. But I made the guess based on the fact that the sky is bright. I say - just guessing of course - that he uses the blue filter (or blue color adjustment) and thus the sky is brighten and the roof (should be red color originally) is darken. Am I right Wynx?

    Oh Wynx, I saw your gallery. I must say it is an impressive collection.
    Last edited by luenny; 5th Nov 2007 at 12:53. Reason: Typo
    - Luenny

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    883
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    Actually, I don't think so. I think it's the conversion to black and white that made the roof a bit dark in the process. Why do I say that? I'm guessing of course. But I made the guess based on the fact that the sky is bright. I say - just guessing of course - that he uses the blue filter (or blue color adjustment) and thus the sky is brighten and the roof (should be red color originally) is darken. Am I right Wynx?

    Oh Wynx, I saw your gallery. I must say it is an impressive collection.
    Didn't use any filter for this one. This is what I did actually....

    1. 3 different exposure from an original jpg( don't ask me why I forgot to shoot RAW that day) in Aperture. -1 EV/0/+1EV. Doing so, will help to bring out details lost otherwise if it is a 0.

    2. Post Processed them using Photomatix, HDR Merge.

    3. converted into b&w in Photoshop simply because I really didn't like the color version. Too unreal for my liking.

    4. viola, my pics. As you can see I like dark things

    Luenny, my pics are not so good...be glad to share pointers with you though..

    BTW, anyone know of this place called Istana Woodneuk, it is supposed to be very near SBG....

    2.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    7,920
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    7
    Country
    Singapore
    Woodneuk is next to SBG at the Tyersall Avenue side. Belongs to the Johore royal family. Do not trespass.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona crumenatum Galleria Botanica

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    883
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    Woodneuk is next to SBG at the Tyersall Avenue side. Belongs to the Johore royal family. Do not trespass.

    Choy,

    It seems to have been flatten. Anyone knows?
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    7,920
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    7
    Country
    Singapore
    no it was undergoing restoration. I think completed already. lots of discussion about it in Clubsnap.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona crumenatum Galleria Botanica

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    1,380
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    42
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by wynx View Post
    Didn't use any filter for this one. This is what I did actually....

    3. converted into b&w in Photoshop simply because I really didn't like the color version. Too unreal for my liking.

    ...

    Luenny, my pics are not so good...be glad to share pointers with you though..
    Actually, I was referring to the color filter equivalent in post processing - for example the color adjustment layer and tweak that to mimic having filter. In film days, we used to use different filters to do this but digital, we can do this after we take the photos - isn't technology wonderful?

    Share pointers with me?? Sure if you want to share pointers, but I think I'll be the one benefiting the most since I just got my DSLR for like 1 month and you're probably a pro already.
    - Luenny

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    883
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    Actually, I was referring to the color filter equivalent in post processing - for example the color adjustment layer and tweak that to mimic having filter. In film days, we used to use different filters to do this but digital, we can do this after we take the photos - isn't technology wonderful?

    Share pointers with me?? Sure if you want to share pointers, but I think I'll be the one benefiting the most since I just got my DSLR for like 1 month and you're probably a pro already.
    Haha..that's true. Technology does make photography easier now. but something never change, the good old fundamental of photography still applies. LOL

    Have fun shooting. BTW, I am learning to use lightroom now...It is kind of cool!
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    1,380
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    42
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes, I heard about how nice lightroom is. If only I have a copy to try out.

    Anyway, I am also slowly learning about all these stuff too. Maybe someday we can organize an AQ outing for photographers. That'll be cool.
    - Luenny

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    883
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    Yes, I heard about how nice lightroom is. If only I have a copy to try out.

    Anyway, I am also slowly learning about all these stuff too. Maybe someday we can organize an AQ outing for photographers. That'll be cool.
    you can download a trial copy to try, right?

    I think it is a very solid workflow tool. Perhaps one workshop, to share how to shoot fish, from the setup till the post production work. Be quite cool, right?
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    1,380
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    42
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's the problem, it's not a permanent version. So after I install trial copy, use it for 30 days until I am very familiar with the workflow then it expires. Then I'm back to square one. Sigh!
    - Luenny

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •