Images
    Country
    Singapore

starting on new planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    guys after gathering much info from here... i am finally starting on my planted tank this coming week! i will be setting up a 75X37X40 tank... can you help me see if i got everything in correct order?
    Lights: 2X36W X 2
    Sand: 10KG
    Substrate: 15KG
    filter: internal one (will only have plants until the tank mature.. around 6months i guess after that will get a eheim external one )
    Plants: not sure yet but will try ricca and xmas moss.. ( any nice plants to recomemnd?)
    Fans: maybe 6 fans
    Co2: will be DIYing.. ( getting cylinder after new year cause then only got $$ ehhee)

i guess thats all that i need right? if anything is missing or anything too little or too much pls tell me and can someone help me check if the substrate is enough? im worried later not enough and have to redo tank just to add more.. so i want to play safe on that...
    guess if u pros give me the green light i will go ahead with my plans! oh yes, and any ideas how to place the fans? cause with the 2 lights.. not much space at the top to put the fans already..
    thanks all for yr help here! []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

guys after gathering much info from here... i am finally starting on my planted tank this coming week! i will be setting up a 75X37X40 tank... can you help me see if i got everything in correct order?
    filter: internal one (will only have plants until the tank mature.. around 6months i guess after that will get a eheim external one )
    Plants: not sure yet but will try ricca and xmas moss.. ( any nice plants to recomemnd?)
    Co2: will be DIYing.. ( getting cylinder after new year cause then only got $$ ehhee)

i guess thats all that i need right? if anything is missing or anything too little or too much pls tell me and can someone help me check if the substrate is enough? im worried later not enough and have to redo tank just to add more.. so i want to play safe on that...
    guess if u pros give me the green light i will go ahead with my plans! oh yes, and any ideas how to place the fans? cause with the 2 lights.. not much space at the top to put the fans already..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    upzzzzz can someone who knows advise me pls... thanks again

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh ya just thought of this question yesterday..
    petmart keep recommending hexa root grow... is it good? i asked for JBL but he says hexa grow is the best... is it true?? anyway i bought one hexa grow... but... i feel like using JBL.. can substrate fertilizer be mixed? and.. what if u wanna redo the tank do i have to throw away the sand and substrate and buy again??? from what i know.. hexa`s fertilizer once in water it will turn the water black.. is it the same with JBL? but water is fine if fertilizer is under soil...

im thinking that if JBL doesnt give black water upon mixing with water.. i plan to get JBL instead... can anyone advise???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OOPs.. think yr thread was pushed down till no one notice it :P

ok, yr tank is ard 30 USG (US gallon)

which makes yr light alittle on the high side with at least 4.5watts a gal, this light config, if not taken with caution and proper housekeeping may give u a headache

calculated yr gravel and base fert, for a 10cm thickness, u require 38kg for gravel to 6kg for base fert, but since we now suggest u have a thicker base fert and a thinner gravel layer, u can use perharps 20-25kg of base fert and ard 10kg of gravel

if u intend to grow moss then u need the fan to down the temp down, but u shld reconsider the use of riccia, give u a headache when u get tired of maintaining them, i suggest the slower mini-ricciaor glossostigma

Your tank info

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm but i have currently a 2X36W..theres no way else to increase the lights already i guess right??? cause actually i started on my planted tank abt 1 month ago but the tank gave way so redoing but this time in a bigger tank simon can help answer my substrate question? thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for the use of base fert, its up to indivdual, for myself.. i prefer JBl since I have used it b4 in my 6ft and found that they r good enuff.. though I heard of this HEXA brand, i neber tried, so cant comment much.. i recommend JBL simply becoz its cheaper

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so do i stick with 2X36W or do i add more? ok guess i will stick with hexa..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2x36 is too little for 30 gallons (2.4W/G)... you should be aiming for 3W/G to 4W/G. So it's a case of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'. Adding just 1x36W will give you 3.6 W/G.

For gravel/base fert, if the stuff don't come in litres, I go the shop and visually guesstimate. Eg. if a pack of gravel is roughly 12"x9"x2" then it'll fill a space of 12"x18" with 1" of gravel. Then just do the maths.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm ok.. i currently have a 2X36 already.. anyway to add another tube inside it?? so i can save space and add the fan instead.. i bought my lights from nature.. do u think can modify??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Without seeing the unit, I can't comment, but if you think there is space for another PL tube and a 1x36W e-ballast then...

You could always bring it back to Chan and ask him.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup i think there is space... u have his number? i think i will call and ask him before i go down thanks []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are PL tubes in standard lengths? sigh.. i think can only put ballast...not the tubing... need the tube a little short then can liao

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can find his number in the LFS list (see topmost menu bar). He is closed this week from 7th to 11th Oct if I'm not wrong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    darm! he`s closed when i wanna start my tank! lolz.. will try to call see if he is open

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry for all the trouble vinz.. u have been a great help...
    but i just found out my tank can have 2 lights and still have space for fans!!! yay!!!!!!!! thanks vinz for all yr replies and simon too! im on my way to a planted tank!!!!! but then gotta wait for nature to open to get the lights..
    thanks guys..
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []